Replacing Julia Childs

Rhode Island Red hens are typically thought to be a friendly breed of chicken.  With the exception of a few aggressive roosters over the years, we have always had what we considered to be friendly hens... of all breeds.

This year, though, we have the friendliest bunch of young hens that we have ever had.  Each morning, when the henhouse door is opened, they come running out and typically, the Reds come running straight towards us.  They stand at our feet looking up at us as if they are asking "what are the plans for today?" 

They seem to have no fear, and a few of them have no problem with us picking them up.

Yesterday I was watching the flock as it was making its way out into the farmyard for free ranging. I was paying particular attention to our rooster, who is magnificent.

He has the loveliest tail feathers...

russet, greens and a tuft of white downy feathers at the base.

Thankfully, he is a gentle rooster who takes very good care of the hens- no to mention being dashingly handsome!!

 As I was kneeling down taking photos of Elwood, Chester just happened to be up the driveway; and upon seeing me, headed down my way.  As he pranced along the driveway, one of the Reds took off running after him. 

 She followed on his heels until he reached me... about 20 yards down from where he had started.

When he arrived in my vicinity, he turned around to look back into the chicken pen.  

The little Red who had followed him, came face to face with him - standing her ground- as if she was trying to have a discussion with him.

It was truly the funniest exchange that I have seen between one of the hens and one of the dogs.  Normally, they just ignore each other.  This time, however, the little Red hen definitely wanted some sort of interaction.

Chester, the Pied Piper of chickens!


Yesterday was another in a string of cooler days... the sun rising through a cloudy sky - no rain, but temperatures that felt more like Autumn than August.  Personally, I have been loving these days... although I hear they are not to last.  


All of the animals are so much more comfortable when it is cooler.  And when my animals are happy, I am happy, too!

We are finally at that sweet spot in garden life when all of our meals come from the garden.  An example of this was yesterday's breakfast.  Potatoes, onions, peppers, roasted cherry tomatoes, kale, and rosemary - all from the garden, sautéed together with a couple fried farm eggs on top.  Then a piece of homemade seeded multigrain sourdough bread with yellow raisins on the side.  Absolutely delicious... and all from the farm!

I am so excited - peaches are beginning to ripen.  I'll be picking, cleaning, and freezing peaches over the next few days.  What a treat it will be to have home-baked peach pies in the middle of winter.  Peaches top the list of fruits ladened with pesticides, so having our own, organic peaches is such a treat - they are the only peaches that we eat! And 

There has been no change in Sammie's demeanor.  He is still not walking more than just a few steps.  We continue to take him to the barn with us - lifting him in and out of the gator - where he finds a comfy spot to lay.  


Even Prednisone (normally a miracle drug) has not helped to make him feel better.  We have also added Tramadol for pain... although, he does not seem to be in any pain as long as he is just lying around.  He just acts as though he is completely worn out.  I'll keep you posted on his condition.

I spent a few hours yesterday babysitting the littlest of our Littles.  Baby Elijah is now 10 months old!  (How time flies.). He is the sweetest and happiest baby ever.  This poor little guy cut 6 teeth in the past couple of weeks... all at the same time!


PS:  Hubbs tried once again to work with Chloe and her fly mask.  In his best Julia Childs' impersonation, he called to her.  As soon as he approached, she turned on her heels and walked away.  After that I heard him trying with his best Jimmy Stewart voice... but, to no avail.
Foiled, again!

Comments

daisy g said…
I'd love to hear how you grow peaches organically. They are one of my favorite fruits, but everyone here that I've spoken with regarding this claims that apple and peach trees must be sprayed. I won't budge, so no peach trees for me.

Bless you, Sammie.
farm buddy said…
Have you checked for all tick-borne diseases regarding Sammie? I have heard of dogs with similar symptoms that have anaplasmosis or Lyme. With my old dog, Scout, I had good luck with Previcox for pain relief. I hope you can help Sammie. He is a spectacular dog!
Anonymous said…
Wonderful looking produce and I love the dog chicken story!
Lynne said…
Loved the hen and dog bit . . .
Delightful . . .

Wish I was there eating breakfast with you!

My heart is sad for Sammie . . .
His eyes seem to speak . . .
Makes my heart ache . . .
Thank you for keeping us in your loop . . .
Moggie said…
I love all your tales from the farm. Julia Childs! Who would have thought to do that? And brown Sammy...I remember his young days of coming home with quills in his little face, I always felt so bad for him - he was just doing his job, and to get stung :(
I can imagine how you look forward to peaches in winter, and the other goodies you have stored away. Such bounty!
Marcia LaRue said…
Yes, Elwood is a magnificent rooster ... his feathers are exceptional!!
Chester and the Little Red Hen ... what a story there is in that encounter ... I wonder if she tried telling Chester ... "... the sky is falling, the sky is falling!" If so, I don't think your Chester was buying that ... LOL
Your breakfast fare ... all good except for that blasted kale! Thank goodness you didn't add in some cilantro ... Ack!!! LOL
I think one day Sammie will simply lie down to snooze and just keep snoozing!!! He's such a good and faithful boy!
I would suggest that Hubbs record your voice on his phone, calling to Chloe to come get her face mask on and see if she falls for that bit of a ruse to get her to come to Jack. LOL
Palisade, CO peaches are the best out here ... when we can get them but the crops have been lean and way too costly!! So no peaches for me! 😢
Eileen in Fla. said…
I have a visual image of the dignified physician, or the serious golfer teeing up for a winning putt, and then of him doing voice impersonations to a donkey. Ya gotta laugh.
Wanda Devers said…
Loved seeing the chicken and Chester drama. Elwood is a handsome guy. Our cousin had a pet rooster that stayed inside with her quite a bit. I always wondered how she handled the chicken mess.

Chloe is toying with your hubs! I can just imagine her snorting with glee, kicking up her heels and running away!

Thinking of Sammie often. He has had a wonderful life full of love. I hope he will just go to sleep peacefully.
This N That said…
Poor Jack..shunned by a Donkey..
Elwood is handsome indeed...Love his colors..
Chester...the start of something new !
Sorry that this weeks weather is coming to an end..It has been lovely.
We have a peach tree here..Years ago I used to pick them..For the last several years the tree has been TOTALLY stripped just as the peaches begin to rippen..Has to be some kind of bird..??Crows
Sam looks so sad...:(



littlemancat said…
Baby Elijah is beautiful! What a joy he is.
Love the hens and Elwood - they really are special chickens.
And Sammie, feel his tiredness right through the photos. Makes me so sad for you. I too hope he can just drift off to sleep when the time comes - a sweet,sweet dog.
Mary
THE BEARDED ONE said…
IT IS REALLY SAD WHEN ONE OF OUR ANIMALS SEEMS TO BE CLOSE TO LEAVING US FOREVER...HAVING BEEN RAISED ON A FARM AND NOW BACK ON MY WIFES OLE FARM...WHICH WE HAVE REMADE...CLEANED IT UP...SMILING...AND SOMETIMES THEYA RE SO BAD THEY HAVE TO BE PUT DOWN...SO SAD...THE BREAKFAST FEAST SOUNDS UTTERLY DELICIOUS...I HAVE NEVER HAD A BREAKFAST LIKE THAT.I TOLD ME WIFE ABOUT IT...SOOOOO WE'LL SE IF IT HAPPENS FOR ME...SMILING...WE ALSO HAD RHODE ISLAND REDS AND THEY REALLY PORODUCED...9 IN OUR FAMILY...MY PEACH TRREES CAUGHT A BLITE AND DIED..I HAVE ONE WHITE PEACH ON THE HILL WERE I AM STARTING A NEW ORCHARD.....LITTLE ELIJAH APPREARS TO BE A PISTOL...HE SEEMS TO BE FULL OF HIMSELF...THAT IS ALWAYS A GREAT SIGN...THANK YOU DEAR LADY...SUCH GREAT ENJOYMENT READING YOUR POST...KEEP SMILNG AND HAVE A GREAT FRIDAY !!!!

EDGAR C. BEARD
What a special post today......love that story about the red hen chasing after Chester....how cute. Your dogs are so well trained to not chase after or harass the hens or other animals. Love that Elwood too....your are right...he is a beauty and gentle! Your breakfast looked and sounded awesome...would love to sit down to a homegrown breakfast like that!
I was wondering how Sammie was doing....but still no improvement. Somebody commenting suggested other possible maladies....I'm sure you're checking out every possibility regarding sweet Sammie. Glad you've been having such lovely cooler weather. It's such a treat to come and read your blog every evening. It caps off my day!!! Thanks Bev!