Shoveling - Snow and Flour

 This has been the snowiest winter that I can remember since childhood.  Yesterday morning we awoke to a fresh, new four inches on top of what was left from the last storm.  And, if the predictions are correct for the next several days, we are in for another 8 or 9 inches.


I spent a bit of yesterday morning re-shoveling paths for the animals.  For the sheep, it wasn't necessary, as they had plowed their way around their yard and settled in for their morning nap in the middle of the snow.


This is their ideal weather, I believe.

As for me, I spent the day indoors, baking.  I started two loaves of sourdough wheat bread which I will be baking this morning.  Whenever I bake bread, I must first feed my starter. 


This process produces an extra amount of starter that I hate to waste.  Luckily, there are many things that you can make with the discarded starter.  Yesterday I made pancakes that were the texture and taste of crumpets.


Because Valentines Day is this weekend, I baked treats for my grandchildren which I will deliver this weekend.  Cookies...


And carrot-cake cupcakes - packed and ready for delivery,


and just a few for Hubbs and me -


My kids had given me these silicone cupcake liners for Christmas and I finally got the chance to use them.  (They worked perfectly.... no need for paper liners... and they're re-usable.)


It occurs to me that I need a much bigger family living here at the farm.  That way I could bake to my heart's content and not have to eat it all!!  For now, family deliveries will have to suffice.

It looks like we are in for another snowy weekend.  I am going to spend a portion of it organizing everything in my pantry as well as emptying it out.  After months of waiting, our pantry cabinets are finished and will be installed beginning Monday.  I'll share that process with you next week.


Until then, have a great weekend.
Stay warm and stay off the ice!
Stay safe!



Comments

colleen said…
I bet it feels some nice to have an oven again. Your baking looks so so good. Is that two cupcakes for you and one for Jack? :)
Happy Valentine Day to BHA!!
Maureen said…
Happy Valentines Day! Your baked goods look delicious and the cookies are beautiful!
Tami said…
Hahaha. Love the pic at the end! I have the same problem too. I bake (and cook) for a much larger family than I have. Extras end up in the freezer for another day. I never knew that they made silicone cupcake holders.
daisy g said…
I've been thinking of getting those silicone liners, as I often bake muffins. I like the idea of them being reusable.

Enjoy your Valentines!
Your blog is the first thing I check and read every morning. It always lifts my spirits to see what you have been up to on the farm and keeping up with all your fur friends. I love the pictures you share of your farm and home.
Thanks for such an uplifting place to come to! Glad all the surgery furbabies are healing.
Carrot cake is probably my favorite cake. Love the donkeys antennae!
Marcia LaRue said…
Anything you bake always looks so delish!
We got a bit of snow overnight here in S. CO, and it is still spritzing snow this morning! It is only 10° at the moment and not going to warm up much from there! It's a good day to stay in and stay warm! The sheep are lucky to have those wool coats! LOL
Happy Valentine's Day to you and Hubbs ... 💟
This N That said…
I thought todays snow was going south..We didn't get any this time..We've been getting 2-3 inches every three days..Missed todays..Snow and sleet over the weekend but no accumulation..I think Tues is the next possibility..
You didn't waste any time breaking in that oven..Carrot cake!1 My favorite..Glad you saved some for yourselves...Silicone cupcake liners..perfect!
Happy Valentines Day to you both...Hugs
Karen said…
I love how you dress the donkey girls for holidays:) *and I had NO idea they had silicone cupcake liners - how are they to clean?

Your picture of the snow and creek - SO beautiful! I hope you do another one with even more snow (I know you don't need anymore - but . . .:) Happy Valentine's Day!
Love your cookies and cupcakes! I can smell those divine aromas from here! Aren't the donkeys darling in their heart attire! So you're getting a ton of snow this year....this is the first year we've been here when we haven't had a ton of snow. However we are in a deep freeze and it's supposed to warm up again next Tuesday or so. Praying that that's true! Happy Valentine's Day to you and your family! Enjoy the beautiful treats!
Lynne said…
Snowy days back to back, on and on are nice to look at, watch, enjoy . . .
BUT . . . they bring plenty of work as well.
Wish I could just plop down and enjoy a “snow sit!”
Love all your Valentine treats . . . and thoughts of you baking in that new oven!
Looking forward to seeing your pantry!
Happy ❤️ Day!
Rain said…
Hi Bev :) Your cookies look great! I'll be baking bread today, I need to smell that in my home! The sheep are so cute. Oh I love the hearts on the donkey's heads! :) Great post!
Anonymous said…
How about baking for your fur-ends? Making graham crackers for the sheep would keep you baking, almost 24/7. There must be treats you could make for the dogs, donkeys, horses, etc.
Mick