Mayhem and More

Drive past the farm on any given day and you will most likely
see a peaceful, pastoral scene like this one.
Most of the time, the rest of the farm is just as peaceful.


Occasionally, though (not often)...
there is mayhem happening in one corner or another.

Yesterday was just one of those days,
when mayhem comes calling and hesitates to leave.


We began our day just like every other day...
chores and gardening.
I dug up our potato bed and harvested our red potatoes.


I knew it was time, as the plants had withered.
Sure enough, there were plenty of lovely red potatoes just beneath the surface.


After that, I set about to pull some of the enormous weeds that had 
grown in one of my perennial gardens.
I have to say... this is a truly rewarding activity... 
pulling huge weeds out and tidying up this flower bed.


Unfortunately, as "they" say...
"no good deed goes unpunished" 
(I'm not really sure of the origin of this saying...but yesterday it rang true.)
I saw something black in front of my face
 and in a split second felt the most searing pain in my nose which quickly spread into my face.
I was aware that the black thing that I had seen was stuck there - on the end of my nose.
A HORNET!!!

Geez, a hornet had just stung the end of my nose.
I raced home to have Hubbs take a look at it,
and put some ice on my nose...
thankful that I am not allergic.
No, the only negative affect was the fact that I looked more like
Jimmy Durante than myself!


Enough mayhem, right?
Wrong.

Later in the afternoon, when I went out to give the horses a snack of hay...
I noticed that Scarlet (pony) wouldn't eat,
but instead wanted only to lie down.
(a pretty sure sign of colic)
I texted Dr. Becky and she suggested that I walk her out into the grass
on a lead rope and hand graze her there as well as take her for a short walk.


Unfortunately, this didn't seem to help and she opted to just lay down instead of walk.


I texted Dr. Becky again and she headed down to examine Scarlet.
Her temperature was normal.
Her bowel sounds were hyperactive.
Something had upset her tummy and was causing her pain.


Two injections later... one to slow motility and one for pain...
and Scarlet began to feel a little better.

Oh, but I forgot to mention...
normally I wear work boots when dealing with the horses,
but because I was in a hurry, I just threw on a pair of sandals.
So, of course, when I took Scarlet out of the barn on the lead rope,
she stepped on my toes, as she exited the stall,
 and removed the skin from the top of my fourth toe.
Mayhem!  See?

The good news of the day was...
the younger runner ducks were given their freedom.
(They are almost full grown... they just have a little "filling out" to do.)
The gate was opened for the elders to leave in the morning,


and the gate stayed open all day.

I did catch the youngsters out in the yard outside their pen
a few times, but they never strayed more than a few feet from their door.


It's going to take a little while for them to gather enough courage
to really go out exploring like their older counterparts.


The elder ducks are very comfortable with the farm and wander about
all day.
I often find them resting in the shade beneath the grape arbor...


I'm not sure if these two groups of ducks will ever become one.
Time will tell.

Lastly, we have so many butterflies this summer!
They visit our various flower beds, floating through the air so
gracefully and delicately... landing here and there for nectar.

Many of the butterflies are Eastern Tiger Swallowtails...


but we also have Monarchs...


Diana Fritilleries...


Clouded Sulphurs...


 Skippers...


And several other breeds that I have not yet photographed.
I could spend a whole day just watching the butterflies!
Perhaps if yesterday weren't so overtaken by mayhem,
I might have found a few more.

Comments

colleen said…
Mayhem, I guess!! Don't they say things happens in 3's? Your poor nose :( and toes. I hope both are doing better today. I also hope this finds dear Scarlet feeling better. It must be such a comfort to know that you have Dr. Becky.
Those runners make me smile every time I see them. How are the ducks at the pond? Ps I love that flower bed you weeded!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
ha...cha cha cha cha!!!!
The JR said…
Poor lady. I have those days all the time. Have been stung by wasps several times this year. Clorox on the spot helps pull the swelling out. Seriously, it works.

My toes have been stomped on several times.

I hope things are calmer today.
Anonymous said…
Oh no! Hoping today is better with no stings and toe stepping!
littlemancat said…
Oh Bev- that sting must have hurt so badly - and your toes too! Hoping beautiful Scarlet is well - love her long black stocking legs.
Love the photo of the resting(!)runner ducks.
Mary
Gosh that nose looks painful. Years ago, I was in my car and all of a sudden I felt a searing pain on the back of my leg. A hornet had been in my car and had crawled up my jeans leg. It was a very hot day and I had been outside and I was sweaty and then here there was a hornet up my jeans. It stung me a total of six times. My folks' house was the closest so I sped there and when I got there, I jumped out of the car and stripped off my jeans in the driveway, I am sure the neighbors liked that but I couldn't help it. My leg swelled up twice the normal size but I am not allergic so I just put vinegar water and some ice on it and it went back down in a couple of days. Man, that was painful. Those little suckers can sting!
Anonymous said…
Oh My!!! Hope today is more “normal” for all. Impressed that you are so open about sharing current unusual look with all of us.
Anonymous said…
Oh my, i hope your nose and toes feel better soon. Beautiful pictures of butterflies and the runner ducks.
Pretty impressive honker! And no, I don't mean geese!
Jody in Georgia said…
Ouch.....hope Mayhem Day is now done and over for the rest of the year!! Hope you and Scarlett are both feeling better today.
This N That said…
Your butterfly pictures are gorgeous..Good job...I need some Runner Ducks..They probably don't eat mosquitoes?? I hope Scarlet is feeling better..Your nose has recovered...Glad you aren't allergic..That's a lot of potatoes..I hope you are in store for less Mayhem..xxoo
Lynne said…
Oh dear . . .
Not the best day!
Hope the nose is healed and normal ...
(Forgive my tiny smile!)
No way would have I wanted a hornet sting on my nose!!!