Harvest Time

We've hit peak harvest time for the garden.


I spent the entire day yesterday roasting tomatoes,
roasting pumpkins, making hot pepper relish, chopping and freezing
sweet peppers and onions and making roasted beet salad.

For dinner, I made stuffed cabbage casserole...

And because I spent almost the entire day in the kitchen,
today's blog post is short....
just a few moments from yesterday.

Moonie's new hairstyle...


in an attempt to thwart his efforts to remove his nighttime grazing muzzle.

The newest runner ducks were MIA yesterday.
A search around the farm found them well camouflaged...


under this bush next to the indoor arena.


Truth be told, they are actively hiding from the older runner ducks.
(aka... the over-sexed older runner ducks.... darned testosterone!)


The soundtrack of our afternoons at the present time is being provided
by a whole lot of these creatures...


Cicadas... by the end of August I am so ready for them to leave
and for the peace they leave behind.

Night-time soundtrack is a combination of crickets and 
these creatures... Katy-dids.


If you have never heard a katydid,
they actually say "Katy - Did."
One night, as we were falling asleep
(with the windows open)
there happened to be a single katydid in the tree outside our room.
At the "top of his lungs" (the sound isn't actually made by it's lungs)
he kept yelling, "Katy! (pause) Katy! (pause) Katy!" non-stop.
I was tempted to yell "Did!" just to see if he'd stop!

It's Friday, and Hubbs and I are having an adventure weekend.
I'll have lots to share with you on Monday.
Have a great weekend!

Comments

This N That said…
Enjoy!! Xoxo 😘
daisy g said…
Thank you for identifying that critter! I have it on my post today, but we didn't know what it was!

Enjoy your adventure-no bees allowed!
Anonymous said…
Love those little runner ducks....so smart.
Phyllis
Jean Ellen said…
Love your comment on the katydids - gave me a good laugh this morning.