Masquerade

Are there horses beneath all of that gear?


Why yes, there are!
We are now entering into that buggy time of year again.
Some days, flies are quite prevalent and drive the horses a little crazy.


With Spring being as cool as it has been this year,
the horses have had a reprieve.
That reprieve seems to be over, though.

Grazing time will either have to be very early in the morning,
in the front pasture (without grazing muzzles as the grass is sparse and the weeds are dense),


or night-time grazing in the upper pastures in grazing muzzles.


Fly masks aren't needed at night time, so that gives the horses a bit of a break.


It seems to me that muzzles and fly-masks could potentially be a little
claustrophobic....
a nuisance, but still not as bad as flies in ones eyes!


I had mentioned that we went to an outdoor antique festival last Saturday.
I always keep my eyes open for something that would work
well on our dining room table.

It's a big table (seating 10 at its smallest) and needs a very large centerpiece.
Last Saturday I found this wooden dough bowl...
not something that everyone would be able to use,
but it suited our table quite nicely.


In honor of gardening season,
I made a garden-themed vignette in the bowl.
It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I quite like it.
Perfect for summer, I think.

Comments

jaz@octoberfarm said…
i love dough bowls and have one in my dining room too. i think it's wonderful. i'm already working on my thanksgiving table, collecting things to use for the centerpiece.
SusieK said…
Can the horses see through the fly mask? If not could they be made out of a mesh so they could still see? Just wondering! I am living the farm life through your posts. Thanks!!!
I like the dough bowl too. And it can be switched out for the different seasons. Moonie needs his back scratched. Lol.
Oh, I forgot to tell you. My fairies are planning on a visit with you during the 4th of July holidays if it is okay. They will leave here probably on the 1st because it will take a few days to get there. But they may leave at the end of this month. They said tea and biscuits will be fine for breakfast. I told them not to expect you to feed them but they said your biscuits are sooooo good. Thank you for having them.
Anonymous said…
Like your interesting and unique centerpiece.
Phyllis
Leslye said…
Beautiful center piece,beautiful land, beautiful life!
This N That said…
Your dough bowl looks great..Perfect size..Has Ivy found it yet??Your equines look very stylish in their masks..a necessary evil!!