In Contrast

While the black barn kitties might be a little hesitant to face the great outdoors,
the runner ducks are the opposite.


As soon as their door opens in the morning,
at sun-up,
they are out the gate and off to do some very important work.
They have a tight schedule and many miles to cover in a day's time.


And boy, do they cover the miles!

By the time we finished chores, they had already run down to the old log cabin
to bathe in the spring water that runs from its cellar.


This water runs beneath the driveway and down to the pond,


making a little stream as it goes on its way...


the perfect place for a morning bath.

If you look back up towards the barn, across the front pasture,
you will see that the duck yard,
which is situated on the other side of the barn,
is quite a hike.


Before they day is over, they will have run over just about every foot of open ground
on this entire farm.
All of this is done at a running pace.
They have much to do, those ducks!!

Yesterday morning, the sun rose into a crystal clear blue sky...


heralding a magnificent day...


the perfect day to make electricity!!!!


Morning chores were done to the nest-building song of the robins.
Just in the past week we have started to hear the robins sing again.


Their return was late last year...
a matter I will have to take up with that old groundhog who predicted an early spring.
Apparently, the robins did not get that memo.


It remains cold, but that will be changing in the next few days.
I hope to get a garden clean-up done by the end of this weekend.
Hopefully, the weather will cooperate.


Comments

colleen said…
Those ducks just quack me up (sorry, lame I know but I couldn't help myself) They are on a mission and in a hurry to get things done...why dilly dally?!!
We are usually two weeks behind you in the weather department. But the piles of snow will have to hurry up and leave if that's going to happen this year. I will be able to watch you getting things done outside and get lots of inspiration.
The JR said…
I thought of you when I saw this pattern.
https://www.anypattern.com/collections/animal-ap/products/donkey-applique-pattern

I look up stained glass and applique patterns to give me ideas for creating some of my mosaics

seems like I've seen a similar picture on your blog

glad your snow has melted. love the critters. take care,
Bee Haven Bev said…
Well, that is just about the cutest quilt pattern ever!!!! And yes, I have seen a photo just like that.... once or twice!!
Those runner ducks have places to go and people to see! I also like the photo of the turkey's tail backlit with sunlight.
This N That said…
Those Ducks are you Sentinels..I wonder what drives them..Lot's of rain promised for tomorrow.I guess you will be sewing ;).Still going to be cool next week! !Yay!!Our Robins have been here for a good month or more..some stayed for the winter..
diane in northern wis said…
Yea....spring is coming to your place! I hope we get some spring before too long....here it is slowly warming up...maybe that's good since the snow mountains are still as tall as the rooftops! The Loons can't return until our lakes are unfrozen!!! Thanks for the great pics and you know I especially love those runners of yours! Always fun to check in on your blog Bev! Happy garden clean-up to you!
Cheryl said…
Did you ever think, if it's even possible, to attach a tiny camera on one of the runner ducks? Can you imagine the footage they would take with all the ground they cover! It would be soooo neat! lol!
Lynne said…
Those runner ducks keep their skinny legs because they run all day.
It must be fun to watch them . . .
Do they chatter too . . .
Happy Spring . . .
I hope you get a garden space cleaned and ready.
We received snow for the first day of spring . . .