Sunny Day Fun

Sunny days are cause for celebration around here...


especially, now, since we are running on solar power!


There is a hint of warmth to the sun, now - 
a definite change from the past few months.


The snow is slowly melting, giving everyone soft ground for napping.


It's been a while since I have been able to navigate the front pasture,
hence, manure clean-up was becoming top priority.
I tried to drive the gator into the pasture, but found that the gate
was immovable thanks to a snow drift.


Instead, I would have to clean the pasture on foot,
pulling the muck bucket around on a cart.
(Do-able, but exhausting.)


Still, it needed to be done... so it was done.
My reward for finishing that task was a donkey break.
I sat in their shed with them nibbling my pants,
my gloves, my hair -


while the dogs played right outside their shed.


When the games would get a little rough or close,
Daphne would shake her head up and down in disapproval,
as if to say...
"Go on, git out of here!"


Normally, dogs and donkeys don't mix all that well.


Donkeys usually don't tolerate canine shenanigans.


Daphne and Chloe have learned that our dogs are no threat,
and for the most part they ignore them.

After my donkey break, I finished up the rest of the barn chores,
and ushered the runner ducks back into their yard for the night.


I have been filling their swimming pool daily so that they can splash around.
Even in the winter, they love a good bath.
I have noticed, however, the past two days that one of the ducks has been laying
a premature egg in the pool.


Normally, every morning, I find two eggs in a nest in their hut.
The past two mornings there have been only one.
Then later in the day, a broken rubbery egg in the pool.
Hmmmmmm.....

You asked yesterday about our quest for decreasing our carbon footprint.
So, I thought I would share a few more changes that we have made.
I ordered re-usable mesh vegetable bags.


I take these to the grocery store in my canvas grocery bags
and use them for produce instead of the store's disposable bags.

I also ordered two sets of bamboo utensils (chopsticks included).
I will be carrying these in my purse so that if I am out running errands
and need to grab a meal on the go;
I will not be using any plastic utensils.


We have learned to tell servers to "hold the straw"...
but in the case that a straw is necessary... this kit has one included...and a handy 
 brush for cleaning it.

Inspired by the slow fashion movement, I have been doing a bit of sewing.
I found a tunic pattern that I love in a book by Lotta Jansdotter.
And this week while in town to run errands,
I stopped in the Salvation Army Store to look for any fabric that might be useful.
I found 2 yards of black and white nubby wool (for 99 cents) -
and made it into a sleeveless tunic.


This is great to throw on over my winter uniform... Under Armor!
The great thing is... I only used half of the fabric,
and still have enough to make a skirt.
Two outfits for 99 cents.
Score!

And just in case you didn't notice....
Tomorrow is March 1st!!
Spring is just around the corner.
Wahooooooo!!!


It won't be long until this empty little Baltimore Oriole's nest is
home to a family once again...
and I will enjoy their sweet songs as I work in the garden.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yes to sun and some melting! We have really cold temps and chance of snow this weekend so I guess March will come in like a lion!
daisy g said…
Love the tunic! What a great feeling to be able to make your own clothes. And what a bargain!

Those donkeys are so, so sweet.

Enjoy the sunshine!
My fairies sent me an email yesterday stating they would be back by St. Patrick's day. I can't wait to see them. They have been wintering in Key West.
As always love all the photos--even the 'poop' ones!!!
Can I ask where you ordered the veg bags and the silverware--
I hate using plastic and would love a reusable straw--
Thanks
luv, di
Bee Haven Bev said…
Hi Di.... yes.... ordered on Amazon.
This N That said…
Love the donkey close up and your tunic is perfect!!
deodar said…
I store my fruit and veggies in those same bags in the fridge drawers. I've found the organic salad blends last longer in the bags than in the original containers.