And Then There Was Snow

Yesterday began with grey clouds looming, and no appreciable sunrise.
The air was still and silent.


A typical winter day... except that it's not really winter yet, is it?
And then this happened...


and it continued throughout the entire day.


By afternoon, the farm had become a winter wonderland.


Can we call it that in November?
December, yes... but November?


Mid-afternoon we headed out to the barn for afternoon chores.


Beautiful and austere.

My snow angels... will they never learn to stand under the many roofs that they 
have available to them?


"What snow?" says Scarlet.

And those runner ducks... out playing in the snow,


and swimming in their snow-filled pool.
I had to chase them into their house for their own good.


I truly think they were just out celebrating the disappearance of the Muscovies.
(Who, by the way, will never be able to find their way home...
too many miles down the road.
I think they will be happy with their new home and their new friends as well.)

By the time we finished afternoon chores, we had gotten the gator stuck in the snow
at least 4 times.


Returning to this was welcomed!!


I love this fireplace.
It is an extremely efficient burner... burning most of the particulate matter in the smoke as well.
There is a powerful fan that throws the heat into the room through the
holes at the top... keeping the house toasty warm,
and eliminating the need for alternative heating.
We are also looking into solar power for the house 
and hope to have it installed in the coming months.
Weather permitting, we should be able to eventually provide for all of our
 electric needs.

Comments

jaz@octoberfarm said…
how beautiful! i love the path the runner ducks leave in the snow.it's like their long capes carving a path. we got several inches.
daisy g said…
How beautiful and mesmerizing the snow is! I think we will be having some by Christmas.

Enjoy your toasty fireplace.
This N That said…
I love pictures of snow and snowy activities. Things look so clean and crisp!! I'm sure the runner ducks are happy and loving the uninterrupted freedom.. Sure would love to have a fireplace like that. I guess I have to settle for my electric one.. Poor substitution Indeed... Have a good weekend. Try not to get stuck anymore.xxoo
Kim said…
I’m sure the sheep are happy. Solar power sounds like a great idea!
StrictlyMystic said…
I get a kick out of the runner ducks!
Laura said…
oh wow! look at all that snow! so beautiful!!
blessings
~*~
Lynne said…
Loving your . . . “We’ve got SNOW” look . . .
We’ve had snow too, and now rain on top . . .
I like your look much more!
Dee J. Hartman said…
Yes, what a surprise snow storm for all of us! After being outside, the cozy fire looks so inviting!