How Big Is Your Lens?


The result of spending hours alone each day is the tendency towards analysis. 
As I flit from farm chore to farm chore, my hands occupied by simple tasks,
my mind is left free to wander.
Oh, the places my mind takes me!


Yesterday while I was pondering the subject of photography
and what it brings to my world,
I started thinking about life behind the lens.


I imagined how the world would look if we always viewed it through a lens…
knowing that what we saw would be dependent upon what type of lens we were using and also what type of filters we had on that lens.


And then I realized that, in essence, is exactly what we do each day.
Our lens is our perception…
and our perception largely depends upon our biases.


We start our life as children behind a wide-angle lens…
Innocent, open, taking it all in…
without judgment or prejudice.


And then as we make our way through the world, we start to narrow our lens.


Our view becomes more focused, more biased, more closed.


Culture, religion, politics, the views of family and friends
all give us alternative lenses that narrow our field of vision.
Past experiences and prejudices become the filters we place over our lens,


that ultimately color our world.


As we focus on the minutiae of life through our narrow lenses and filters of exclusivity,
we begin to limit our world, limit our boundaries, limit our joy, our love, our hope.


Meanwhile, the rest of the world is there….we just do not see it.


Perhaps it’s time for all of us to re-arrange our camera bags…
to put away the filters and lenses we have grown comfortable with…
to try on a new lens…a broader perspective…
and really see the world!


What type of lens are you using?

Me, I am trying a wide angle lens with two filters...
gratitude and awe.

Comments

colleen said…
Well said is right. You always give me some new to ponder for the day and I want to thank you for that.
This N That said…
Beautiful. I love your perspective. Food for thought.
Lynne said…
Excellent post . . .
I loved the "Lens Reflection."
Saved!
Anonymous said…
Wonderful post.. I like the wide angle perspective and believe I will try beauty and love.
Steph
Country Gal said…
Well said indeed ! Lovely photos ! I use all my lenses . 55-300 zoom , 18-55 wide angle and 60 mm 1.2 micro cause one never knows what length I will go to capture that moment hehe ! I see everything as images , always have ! Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !