Reward For A Hard Day's Work....

This is quite a busy week on the farm.
This Saturday we are having an open house for Hubbs' workmates.
With over a hundred people coming to the farm,
I am working hard to get everything in tiptop shape.

Mowing, weeding, and a little planting are all on the ToDo list for this week.
I thought the playhouse needed a little garden in front,
but realized that there is a stone pad underneath it which sticks out in front.

Plan B:  Container gardens with delphiniums and coreopsis.


Finally, we were able to pick strawberries.
Huge, juicy berries, fresh snow peas and just picked green beans were a part of last 
night's dinner.


There is no better time of year than this...
with our meals picked fresh every day!

When the work is done for the day,
we take a little time to play.
And play always involves time spent with the animals.


A visit to the donkeys is like a visit with two two-year-olds.


They are so busy...


and curious...


And like two-year-olds, they put everything in their mouths.
While one was chewing on my hair,


the other was chewing on my shoes!


You have to keep your wits about you when you sit with the donkeys.
Who knows what they will decide to taste!

In contrast to the donkeys is the pigs.


A visit to Ginger and MaryAnn is always calming and peaceful.


Like the donkeys, the pigs love to be close to us.
However, the pigs are almost always recumbent.


They lie down next to us and peacefully fall asleep...


And after a long day of work outside, I am inclined to lie down beside them!


Moll, my shadow, takes this opportunity


 to do a little primping.


Actually, a lot of primping!


"Hey, stop staring!"  she says.

I give her her privacy and go back to napping.
Bet you've never used a pig as a pillow!


I have to say, there is nothing more peaceful than a nap
with my friends!

Comments

jaz@octoberfarm said…
i wish i had a pig pillow!!! the donkeys are so cute! if you need any recipes for 100 people, i think i have a few.
daisy g said…
Ha! Sure looks like a good time there. Simple pleasures...
Country Gal said…
Wonderful photos they made me giggle ! Strawberries look YUMMY! Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !
Gone Country said…
That picture of Moll giving you the stink eye literally made me laugh out loud! The look on her face says 'do you mind?'
Too funny!

Love those donkeys and piggies!
Unknown said…
Absolutely adorable post! You look so cute (in a hat) with your fun friends!
This N That said…
A great way to start the day..A laugh
generated by news from BHA..You had me in stitches..The pictures and description of Moll are great..Love the last one..She looks evil..( I know she's not)..Have a great day..
Oh, and please tell me you've been to the house, had a shower and put on clean clothes and that this is not what you really look like when you've finished working for the day. Sigh. It probably is. I think I'm going to quit reading this blog. ;-D
Nancy said…
What a fun and relaxing post. :) I am on the lookout for donkeys myself.
Sandra said…
Wonderful post!
I enjoyed it's sweet simplicity of an experience so many of us only dream of.
Thank you for sharing.
Kris said…
I always love my visits to the farm!
I am here to catch up. Been very busy around her lately. Happy Birthday to your grandson! My how time flies!!
xo Kris
tpals said…
Lol! Hilarious!
Velva said…
Your posts always make me smile. Thanks for sharing.

Your open house will rock!


Velva
The colors of the playhouse are amazing!! I couldn't wait to share them with my fiance, who admitted they were pretty snazzy. I love all your photos so much! I'd love a pig pillow, too.

Kat @ Where the Sidewalk Ends