Working on the "Long" List

After what seems like weeks and weeks of weeding,
the strawberry patch make-over is almost complete.


Just a bit of mulching to be done today...
and then I can sit back and wait for the berries.

Hubbs was determined to make my strawberry patch 
as low maintenance as possible.

While I weeded the rows and transplanted new
plants to straighten the rows,


Hubbs spread tarp between the rows


and began covering it with oak bark mulch.


I like the idea of mulch between the rows,
besides looking nice, it will be a weed deterrent.
Any little weeds that take root in the mulch will be so much easier to pull.


In years past, I had mulched with straw,
but ended up growing oats and wheat between the rows
as a result.

Of course we had the usual help...



and the usual visitors....



Meanwhile, inside the house, I have finally finished
spring housecleaning the pantry.


Shelves emptied, scrubbed....


and reorganized.


There is nothing better than the sense of accomplishment
when these tasks are completed!
And oh, so satisfying to cross two more items off the "long" list!!

Comments

Anke said…
I've got one of those long lists going right now, too. Even if I only check off one thing a day, it is slowly getting done.
Cindy said…
You pantry looks so nice! And so does your strawberry patch. I have been working on ours too. Last year I bought this weed barrier fabric from Menards and it didn't work at all! Right now I just have old straw (hopefully no hay or oats). I have a million flowers and am so excited to be picking berries soon.
Good job! Sounds like you are getting alot accomplished! Wish I had your energy! Have a great day! Dawn
Lisa said…
Thanks for the look into your lovely pantry. I just love the jars. I am glad you are getting so much done. Keep it up and you will be done in no time at all. Lisa
Junebug said…
Look at the work you have accomplished! I love all your helpers and visitor. I need to start checking a few more off my list, tell this weather to warm up! I haven't even planted my garden, getting late. I got my fingers crossed it will be this weekend! Your pantry is wonderful!
This N That said…
I imagine that the list just keep getting longer...good idea for the strawberries..They seem to have been taking up a lot of your time and energy...looks great !!
Tonya Gunn said…
So many great things going on. What a wonderful strawberry patch and your pantry looks nice and neat.
Warm wishes, Tonya
Carmen S. said…
Hi there! Your furry helpers are just precious and I LOVE your pantry!!!! I believe it's the finest I've ever seen, just gorgeous!!!!
Julie Harward said…
I would love to be there when those strawberries come on! I LOVE your pantry door too..so cute! :D
Your strawberry patch is wonderful. I am shooting for a garden box to put mine in. As a child Gram & I would pick berries from a local grower. The mulch in between the roes is a great idea. No muddy feet. Your farm just amazes me. Blessings!
Lara
P.S. Do you have fence around all your gardens? Was wondering beacuse I have been looking for a way to keep the lab out of my gardens I have now & before adding on.
jerilanders said…
Good heavens gal, you don't mess about when it comes to planting Strawberries! This puts my wee strawberry patch to shame. Time to get out the tiller and start over!
Teresa said…
So nice to cross things off the list! I need to do a major overhaul of my strawberry bed too, but I have no idea when that's going to happen.
Debi said…
Deer fencing, I presume? Enjoyed checking in on you. Its a busy time most definitely for agriculture. Don't know about your area, but anything sustainable, grow your own,etc, etc is so big here in N.C. Hope you have tremendously good harvest this year. Looks like your off to a good start!. Debi
You've both been busy and all your hard work will pay off if not this year then the next. I meant to mulch last year but we were just too busy and never got around to it...this year we're busy trying to paint the house and stain the picket fence! Hopefully we'll get to it though as I don't want to do all that weeding again. Good for you for getting your pantry spring cleaning done. I still need to do our whole house! Now you'll have time to play in the play house ;)
Have a great day.
Maura :)