Not For The "Faint" of Heart


Our fainting goat "kids" have become quite adept at "fainting".  For those of you who are new to the breed Fainting Goat, this is a genetic condition known as myotonia that causes this type of goat's muscles to stiffen...causing the goat to fall over as if he/she has fainted.  During one of these episodes, however, the goat does not lose consciousness.  Generally right after birth and for the first few weeks of life, the kids don't faint.  As they grow, however, they start to exhibit this behavior.  Typically it is a reaction to some sort of stimulation of their nervous system such as fear, startle, etc.  As the kids grow and become more physically active and athletic, they "faint" when something unexpected happens to them, such as falling off of a goat house, or, in the case of the picture below, my back.

Sunday morning, our friends Kelley and Donnie came to help us with farm chores.  While we were playing with the youngsters, one of Myrtle's doelings jumped up on my shoulders.... 
and then proceeded to fall off.....
Notice the reaction of our friend, Kelley, when witnessing one of Myrtle's doelings fainting.  Don't worry, she recovered quickly (the goat that is) and hopped up after a few seconds ready to play again.  Kelley recovered almost as quickly.

Comments

Junebug said…
I think my first reaction may faint myself. I'm sure the first time you see a goat faint it would be scary. I love the picture of Kelly's reaction.
Tee hee hee....that's awesome! I love fainting goats, well, I love GOATS in general and can't wait to have a mini-herd. :)
Stefunkc said…
I love this! Your friends face is classic!
Deb said…
I just stumbled across your blog and found it so interesting and fun. I just love all the animal stories and learned something new with the 'fainting goats'. It must be wonderful growing your own food and I hope to do the same once we build on property that we own in Manotick, Ontario Canada. I'm a new follower. Love the kitties. Deb
Dianne said…
As a nurse, I'd probably rush to see what was wrong unless I had a little heads up that they might do that...I'd still probably not believe when I saw it! I'm hoping to have little Dwarf Nigerians one of these days!
Katmom said…
hahahaha! That is too funny!
hugz
>^..^<
Kelly said…
The kids (children) wanted fainting goats for entertainment value. I think they are adorable (goat kids). I love the look on Kelley's face.
Kelly
Aussiemade said…
Great photo, yep I would have thought the little guy was broken too..lol