Saturday, June 13, 2009

And Then There Were Five

It seems that so much of our life on the farm revolves around our feathered friends...and trying to keep them alive. This week I noticed that our guinea troup is dwindling. We now have only five of our lovely, tick-eating "farm alarms" remaining. This is so discouraging to us, as we love our guineas. I have 30 more ordered for July and will train this next batch to roost indoors instead of outdoors at night. I fear our poor dears fall prey to owls at night. This troupe of guineas has always roosted in the tree outside their coop at night. A little research on the subject has taught me that you can train your guineas to return to their coop each night by offering them a little white millet (favored treat of guineas worldwide). I cannot bear to lose any more birds...so I will keep my fingers crossed that this practice helps.

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your birds. I had mine for years and then they started disappearing as well. I think our were taken by red tailed hawks or owls. Please keep me posted on if your new procedure works. I would love to have them again sometime but want to keep them alive as well. Sorry again for your loss... dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a roost higher up than the hens? I was thinking of trying to train them to stay in the coop(barn stalls that have chicken wire to prevent predators) at night. Keep us updated about the millet. I hate to lose animals too. Ours come in Aug.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Bev,

    I know you've had a rough go of it with keeping the feathered friends protected. I will definitely watch your training progress....

    Hopefully, that millet will overcome their desire to roost in the trees. I've never met one that didn't choose the trees but most people I know did not feed the millet and I'm sure that will be the secret! At least I hope so..they are such neat birds and serve such a great purpose.

    I was so happy to see your comment...thanks for dropping in to see me! My blog must be cooperating a bit better for you! I hope so anyway, I miss your visits. :0)

    Hugs, Steph

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to leave a comment...I assure you I appreciate it! I read and answer comments by email whenever possible. Thanks for stopping by for a chat with me!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails