Things That Amaze

 I find that most days are filled with moments of utter amazement.  The thing is, those moments vacillate between "Oh Wow!"  moments and "Oh Sh*t" moments.

For example, I am stunned by the amount of cicadas that are everywhere... and if you have not experienced them yet to this extreme, you would definitely be speechless if you saw how many are just "hanging around" the farm! 

 Amazing.

There is long awaited, colorful beauty everywhere I look these days, and that, in itself, is so "Oh Wow!" to me!

Yesterday morning, I had the other kind of moment as these two gals opened their gate and headed out into the big wide world on their own little AWOL adventure as I was giving them their breakfast.  They might think that they want their freedom, but once they have it, trepidation kicks in and anxiety sends them right back into their yard... before I even have to go round them up!  However, as I watched them exiting the safety of their yard... I absolutely uttered "Oh Sh*t!"  Thankfully, I avoided having to call a "Code Red" in the neighborhood to help with a round-up.   (Last escape, our neighbors, Jim and Kathy, decided that if a text goes out "Code Red" it means all hands on deck for a horse/pony/donkey rodeo!)  I must say that as the donkeys exited their yard, our ponies became quite excited... hoping that they, too, might be included in this little escapade.  Luckily, their locked gate prevented their participation in the festivities.

You might be wondering... did we get any rain yesterday?   Here is your answer:

Just enough to give the ponies "beach hair"...

that tousled sea-spray look...

but not enough to adequately water this garden.

I had to hand-water all of the growing plants myself.  All around in local towns, there were downpours... but they all missed the farm.


I spent some time cleaning the front pasture and communing with pigs 


and sheep.  Everyone was enjoying the day's much cooler temperatures.

Faith was feeling especially friendly 

and came over to say hello....

in her wet, wooly pajamas.

I often find tiny nests like this one that have blown out of the trees.  I would love to know what kind of bird weaves these tiny nests out of horse hair... they are too big for a hummingbird, but too small for most others.  I read that it might possibly be the inner lining of a chipping sparrow's nest.  We often hear the song of chipping sparrows here on the farm... so, maybe.

Things are quiet in the goat yard, and all seem contented these days.

  I think Sally has adjusted fine.  Still, I am sure she misses her Momma.

As you can see, the chicks are chicks no longer!  They are full adolescents and as such are completely unruly.  We have to be extra careful when opening their front door that they don't rush out.  I would like them to get just a little bit bigger before we begin to allow them outdoors in their yard.  But, boy are they crazy kids!!

I have much more to share with you... thank goodness there's tomorrow!

Comments

Anonymous said…
The beach hair look is cute!
Spring on the farm sure is beautiful. So green and gorgeous! Everyone sure looks happy.
jaz@octoberfarm said…
you are living in the same bubble as i am! it poured at my daughter's house and hardly a drop here and she lives 2 blocks away. i am heading out to water now.
Diane said…
We finally got rain here. I love having my morning coffee while reading your blog posts. Thank you for taking the time to share your beautiful farm with us.
THE BEARDED ONE said…
THESE POSS JUST THRILL MY OLE SOUL....SO VERY ENJOYABLE AND YOUR FARM IS SO VERY BEAUTIFUL...WISH I WAS TALENTED SO I COULD SEND YOU PICTURES OF OUR PLACE BUT...I DO NOT HAVE A PHONE THAT WILL DO THAT AND I HAVE ZERO CLUE HOW TO PUT A PICTURE ON THE COMPUTER...I HAVE A FLIP PHONE AND SOMETIMES HAVE DIFFICULTY FIGURING OUR HOW TO DO CERTAIN THINGS...MY OLD PHONE I COULD OPERATE WELL... BUT...THIS NEW ONE IS MUCH DIFERENT..I CANNOT EVEN ADD [HONE NUMBERS OR DELETE OLD NUMBERS...I AM A DUMMOY W/TECHNOLOGY...BUT I SURE LOVE AND ENJOY YOUR BLOG..IT MAKES MY DAY !!! THANK YOU MUCH AND HELLO TO HUBBS !!! HAVE A SUPER DAY !!

EDGAR C. BEARD
This N That said…
We had at least an hour of wonderful rain..I got drenched coming out of the grocery store..After that, I just didn't care..
.Those Donkeys @%*!...Good that they didn't get far.
.I can't help but wonder if a Wren could have made that nest..They seem to be good weavers of sticks..What would they do with horse hair if it was available to them??
Glad the goaties are adjusting.
Amazing how fast the chicks grow..Have a happy day..
Dee J. Hartman said…
The bearded one said it best!
Karen said…
Boy! Did I need to visit the farm today:) Your life makes my better - is that too much pressure? I feel so calm after visiting 'the gang' and seeing what you are up to today (and I always get so happy seeing your just baked bread loaves and piggies getting belly rubs:). What you do - your life on the farm - MATTERS. So a huge thank you for sharing your wonderful life.
Lynne said…
Fascinating to see nest construction. . . .
I have collected quite a few through the years.
Love the dainty weave in the one you pictured.
I have my eye on one in our huge front yard Hemlock Tree.
I see it when I mow.
Looks like someone built the nest and then changed their mind.
A good thing, way too low and close to a road.
Still . . . it would have been fun to have watched the activity.