Surf's Up!

The pool is open and swimming season has begun.  I'll admit, though, that once the pool was filled, the girls were a little hesitant. 

MaryAnn was happy to see it filled, sniffed it a little, took a drink, 

and then proceeded to use the edge of the pool for a good scratch.

Ginger, on the other hand, jumped right in...

doing her best cannonball and sloshing half of the water right out of the pool.

Ahhh....nothing like a cool dip at the end of a hot day!

MaryAnn was more interested in visiting... both with me,

and with Moll cat... who hopped on hoping for a "piggy-back" ride.

Well, it has finally happened.  I have become one of those ladies.  You know the kind.... who just cannot resist checking out the items that other people leave by the curbside for the trash collectors.  While in town yesterday, I spied these four bistro chairs that just happened to be missing their seats.

Eureka! 

It was difficult, but I found enough room in my Prius to bring them home with me.  Sadly, I didn't have enough room for the table.  It would have made a great planter, also with the entire top filled with flowers.  I could picture it sitting under a tree with two chairs... one on either side.  But, alas, it was not meant to be.

Today I will be adding chicken wire and coconut fiber baskets to each of them and turning them into planters.  I probably won't be keeping them... because, who needs FOUR chair planters on their property.  One is perfect, but four might be a little over-the-top!

Still, it was fun to salvage and up-cycle things that were headed for the landfill.  I'll share their finished look soon (probably tomorrow).

In follow-up to yesterday's comment about Round-up.  Yes, the US is still dumping tons of glyphosate (the active chemical in Round-up on farm fields to kill weeds.  This chemical then becomes an integral part of the food that is grown in the fields, as well as seeping into ground water, ending up in our water sources.

  Of note, industrial farmers, for some cereal manufacturers, use glyphosate to dry oats for faster harvest.  It has been reported that Cheerios and HoneyNut Cheerios contain 4 to 6 times the the recommended health level of glyphosate for children.  This alone is reason enough to only ever buy organic oat products... such as oatmeal and other cereals, and oat milk.

Comments

colleen said…
Can't wait to see the finished chair project!!
Ah, the girls look like they enjoy their pool time.
They are still using Round up even though it is known to be carcinogenic. And it kills off our honey bee population too.
I wish they would be banned from our foods. But I will stop there as it is a soap box for me and I don't want to do that.
I bet your chairs will look great when they are full of flowers! Love to upcycle.
Always fun to turn someone else's "junk" into treasure! Hmmm, how about a trip back to see if the table is still waiting?!
Anonymous said…
I never find cool stuff like that!!!
This N That said…
Ginger is one happy pig. She has quite the life. Can’t wait to see what you do with the chairs. What a find! I am sure they will look wonderful and such fun to do.Too bad about the table. Enjoy your day. Hugs
Dee J. Hartman said…
I was totally unaware of the round-up ingredient in the processing of Cheerios an HoneyNut Cheerios! I prefer eating steel-cut oatmeal...Not sure about its extra contents, but I'm hoping it doesn't have glyphosate in it! Thanks for the info!
Wanda Devers said…
Love the chairs--they will look gorgeous with flowers. Also love the pigs!

We stopped using Round Up several years ago. We usually use the vinegar mixture and I have some spray that is made with soybean oil. They don't work as well as Round Up but we'd rather have more weeks & less chemicals.

I have a memory from years ago of my grandpa having his field fence rows cleared out with a flame thrower! It was fascinating and I found that there are smaller versions available. Have yall ever tried them?
MR ED...THE BEARDED ONE !! said…
THESE ARE AMAZING...YOU JUST CONTINUE TO AMAZE W/YOUR PHOTOS AND COMMNENTS... THANKFULLY...WE RARELY EAT BOXED CEREAL....I EQAT OATS MOSSRT EVERY DAY FOR BREEAKFAST...I PUT CINNAMON..LAMOND BUTTER AND MOLASSES IN THEM W/THE WATER...DELICIOUS...SURE APPRECIATE THE INFO ON ROUND-UP...SHOCKING !!! THANK YOU AND HAVE A SUPER DAY !!!!!


EDGAR C. BEARD
Can both your pigs fit in the pool at the same time? Just wondering! so sad about roundup and the things most people don't know.
daisy g said…
I would've been on the phone to Jack to meet up to get the table home somehow! (It's happened!) Can't wait to see what you do with your new treasures.

So sad that even Extension says Round Up is not dangerous. I refuse to be any part of supporting that stuff.

The girls must love summer in the pool.