Don't Let The Sun Fool You

Don't be fooled by this rising sun.  It was not the harbinger of a warm, sunny day.  No, yesterday, the sun took a snooze and let Ole Man Winter come back for a visit.  He should know by now, that in April, he is no longer a welcomed visitor!

Were it not for the fact that I had to tend to our animal friends, I would not have opened the door for him and allowed his icy fingers inside my house!

Hopefully this week is the end of cold weather.  I have tiny plants emerging in the garden, after all!  

With cold winds blowing, yesterday morning was the perfect time for mass bread-baking.  Four loaves later I was ready to leave the farm... heading to town to make a few bread deliveries.

The last view of the farm was that of the horses and donkeys peacefully grazing in the front pasture.

It's a lovely sight and one that makes me eager to get back home again.  

Home is my haven, my happy place.

Oh, and before I forget... the donkeys have a little story to tell.  Since they are eating, and I have repeatedly told them to not talk with their mouths full, I will tell you the story.

You see, two nights ago as Hubbs was tucking all in and doing the last of the day's feedings (I was home working with bread dough)...  these two delightful long-ears decided to make a break for it.  As Hubbs was busy working away, these two opened their gate, tippy-toed out and ran for the hills.  In the dark!!!!  They are nearly impossible to see in the dark.


It was another "Code Red" as our neighbors have come to call it when we have these equine escapes.  Luckily it was only the two donkey girls.  The bad side of it is... they will not let anyone catch them.  Unlike the horses who will come for a treat and then - surprise!- a halter gets quickly put around their head, the donkey gals are much too wily to get caught.  They have evasive maneuvers better than any running-back I have ever seen.  And don't let their chubby stature fool you... they can run like the wind!

So.... we ran and chased in the dark... in and out of upper pastures and down the lane past the pigs and sheep - I may have cursed (more than once!) - until finally, two tired donkeys decided it was time to head back into their yard.  As long as it's their decision, you can get our donkeys to do anything.

Naughty girls!  I am not sure if they are shortening my life from the stress of their escapes, or lengthening it from the extra exercise they give me!

PS:  our bear has still not returned.  I check the game camera cards daily.  And have I ever mentioned - we sure have a lot of squirrels!

Ooohh... I almost forgot.  Look what just re-bloomed in our upstairs library!  

There is a second one ready to open any day now... a gift that gives - every year. ❤️

Comments

Anonymous said…
We have had a cold snap too so ready for Spring to return!
colleen said…
It amazes me that the daffodils in the pasture don't get trampled on. I bet the grands would of liked to go on the night time donkey hunt.
As always your bread looks scrumptious. xoxox
daisy g said…
That bread looks amazing!

The peaceful scene of the equines grazing would keep me close to home too!

Those naughty girls. Keeping things lively on the farm!

Happy Earth Day!
littlemancat said…
It started out warm, then showers and then heavy rain with thunder and lightning. By late afternoon it was cold!
Your bread - oh yum! The flower whose name I can't spell is stunning!
And those donkey girls!
Mary
This N That said…
Bread...Yummmmm..Pretty to look at as well.
It snowed for about an hour this AM..
Bad Donkeys...Making their Mom do a swear!!
Pretty Amaryllis
Love your Haven...xxoo
EDGAR C. BEARD said…
IT WAS BITTER COLD IN CENTERVILLE, TENN WED AND IT IS NOT TO WARM TODAY..I LOVE THESE AND YOUR COMMENTARY JUST ADDS TO THE JOY...WHAT A SUPER TALENTED LADY YOU ARE...THANK YOU AND SURE HOPE YOUR DAY IS GOOD !!!
phyllis Schmitz said…
So nice to start my day with your precious animals. Thank you.
Your bread looks so delicious! Wish I lived close by...I'd buy a loaf from you! (how about on etsy?) Oh how scary that must have been looking for the donkeys in the dark after their escape. Glad they finally decided to come back home. The pictures of your place are just beautiful. We've been cold here too but finally warmed up to about 58 degrees today. I'm thankful that we had a pretty mild winter for us with not a lot of snow this year. I think you got it instead! :)