My Haven

 One of the special treats of this past winter was sitting in Maven Haven beside my little wood stove.  There is nothing more cozy than being tucked away in a warm little space filled with peace and tranquility.


And although it would have been lovely to share the space and some conversation with a friend, I made the best of it and enjoyed the solitude instead.  Typically, Hubbs would visit me there for tea and "reading".   "Reading" means: sitting, devouring a book for about five minutes until fast asleep.  Perhaps you can relate?

I am hoping that after everyone is vaccinated, that many friends stop by for a visit to the shed!  I promise tea and fancy home-baked pastries if you give me enough warning!!

Yesterday, instead of a roaring fire, I sat in my comfy chair with the front door and both windows open.

It was delightful to work on my knitting project with a soundtrack of birdsong outside my window.  And though I know we are still going to have some cold weather, these past few temperate days have definitely been the vacation from winter that I so badly needed.  

I noticed that a few of the daffodils that I planted in the cottage garden are beginning to emerge.

I also planted crocus between the stepping stones, but since they have been snow-covered until today, the crocus are still tucked safely beneath the earth.... a treat for another day.

Weeks ago when I talked of drying Summer's blossoms, I was asked if what I grew last year retained its color.  Here are just a few of the different flowers that I dried.  There is still a good amount of color left on them, I think.

It was lovely, this winter, to peer at the ceiling and enjoy the color left from the previous seasons.  I will make a habit of drying flowers from now on.

As I sat there knitting, I heard the sound of Ginger and MaryAnn calling to me. 

 They always know when I am at the shed, and often lie next to the closest fence.  

I can never resist their call, and went over to the fence to visit for a while.

I only wish there was a gate close to the shed.  I'd invite my girls inside for tea!  Tee-hee!

It looks like my girls have been digging in the mud today!

I am sure after so many months of frozen ground, it was delightful to get a snout full of mud!

Our wonderful days of warmer weather are over for now.  More seasonably cold weather will settle in today and next week.  It's ok, though.  This little teaser was all that I needed to fill me with hope.

Have a wonderful weekend!!  We'll be back Monday with weekend tales.

Patsy:  please let your fairies know that we will look forward to their arrival.  As for Minerva.  She is to board a trans-pacific ocean liner ,for her voyage back to the farm, sometime at the end of April.  I've made an appointment for her to get a make over after her arrival.  She will be back at her post in the garden around the first of May.

Comments

Lisa said…
Will Minerva have to self quarantine for 2 weeks? 😉 Don't invite too many people. We might take you up on this offer! I miss our farm animals very much so I may have to go visit to get my goat and donkey fix after the pandemic is done.
daisy g said…
What a wonderful retreat. So glad you carved out this space for yourself. We all need "me" time.

Enjoy the sunshine!
It looks so lovely...ahhh. Would you share who made your Maven Haven sign? And what's tucked behind your stove...something to reflect heat? I found an old wood stove I'm putting in our milkhouse; hoping to make it a cozy spot to enjoy. Mary, Windy Meadows Farm
littlemancat said…
So peaceful a place - and the piggie girls close by. I can almost feel the spring air floating in the doorway. And I sure do know about falling asleep within a few paragraphs of reading - lol!
Mary
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i sure wish i had known that my tool shed was going to end up being a witch shed because i would have made it bigger! i just love maven haven.
Marcia LaRue said…
Your little Haven is such a delight and treat to visit! It is just so light, bright and airy ... we should all be so lucky to have something similar!
We are expecting a huge winter storm front coming into CO later on today and over the weekend! Winter simply is not done with us just yet!! Gonna make a pot of chili later on ... maybe some cornbread, too! Yum!!!
Don't forget to Spring that clock forward sometime Saturday!!! I always do mine about mid-afternoon and the time change just doesn't seem to bother me!!
Enjoy your weekend!!!
This N That said…
Is Minerva wearing a mask and practicing social distancing??
Cool that the piggies stay near..
Your "shed" is such a perfect retreat..Your dried flowers look great..Yes, I am very familiar with the reading and falling asleep thing..Does he drop his book?
The crocus will look adorable poking up between the stepping stones..
Have a good weekend..xxoo
Lynne said…
The warmth this week has been wonderful.
A teaser maybe . . . it sure put me in the “get with it mood!”
We have been busy tackling different projects.
Fresh air dried sheets is a huge pick me up!
I am sleepy already!
Enjoy the weekend, happy knitting and piggy visits.
Karen said…
I heard on npr this morning (3/13) that people are paying $75 an hour to hug a cow (and they are booked solid!). Well heck - I'd pay $75 to hug Ginger and Maryann! If you ever need extra income - it's just a thought:) Have a great weekend!
I love that pic of your little place with the door and windows open. How lovely. I'd love to join you for a spot of tea sometime! How neat that the pigs come up to the fence closest to your little house, when they know you're there. Aren't animals smart!!!