A New Year

Four days into January, and already the month is true to form - a mixed bag of everything, that makes one question why one would live in the Northeast.  January tends to throw everything it has at us - snow, rain, sleet, ice, and wind.  And seemingly, just to keep us from hibernating our way through,  it throws in a few hours of sunshine for sanity - but only on occasion. 


 And yet, I cannot imagine winter any other way.  It is all I know, so there is comfort in the blanket of grey that has settled upon my world.

I'll trust you had a good New Year's Day.  If you're like me, you didn't care enough for 2020 to spend those last few hours with it.  No, I blissfully spent the transition from old to new sound asleep.  After all, morning chores need to be done whether one stays up past midnight or not.  And "not" staying up makes those chores so much easier to face.


We did have a visit from the farrier on New Year's Eve, so all of the equines are starting their year in good shape.

 Moonie was fully cooperative, given his new outlook on life.

Griz was self-proclaimed equipment manager.

I did reflect a little upon 2020.  Even though it ranks as the worst year ever, there was much good to be had.  It helps to concentrate on the positive, for Time gives us no refunds.  We can, however, turn the page to a new chapter and look forward with hope (and reasonable expectations).  We now have a fresh canvas in front of us... lots of blank pages to fill with 2021.

We spent our New Year's Day at home (because, although it is 2021 now, Covid won't stay back in 2020 where it belongs!) and had our traditional pork and sauerkraut dinner.  We took down the Christmas decorations and put everything back in order. 

 For me, starting a new year in this manner feels like hitting the "re-set" button. 


I spent some time making lists... things that need tending to during January.


I baked bread.

I finished the last project of 2020- my Farmhouse Cardigan (pattern found on Ravelry) - and started dreaming of new projects to start this year.

Saturday morning, we awoke to an ice-tipped world.  Rain had frozen on everything,

and dragon's breath hung low in the valley.

Icy tendrils hung from the wisteria,

and purple beauty berry popsicles decorated the garden.

We've been paying particularly close attention to the erratic weather conditions these past days because of Moonbeam.  When it is not precipitating, we allow him out in the dry lot with his family.

However, with the rain and ice and sleet, we bring him back into his stall so that his eye incision does not get wet.  

In case you are interested, here is what it looks like now.  It is healing well, but there is still a little bloody drainage from the inner corner of his incision, so we are keeping him on his antibiotics just a little longer.  It will look so much better when his fur grows back.

All in all, he is doing well... not missing an opportunity to roll in the mud when he has access to the (muddy) dry lot.  He's a constant work-in-progress!

Liberal treats help make everything ok!

It is my hope that you'll join us as we make this next trip around the sun.  I cannot promise you that our world will return to normal, but, here on the farm we will stay committed to counting our blessings, finding the magic in each day, and sharing it here with you.  Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for sharing yourselves with us through your comments and emails!! 

 I've said this before... life is so much better when shared!

Happy New Year!

Comments

Louise Stopford said…
Happy New Year to you Bev and all your family. I do hope Moonie makes a full recovery. I have just recently caught up with my blog reading and was shocked to hear about his poor eye. Sending healing wishes over to him. Thank you for your wonderful writings. It's been an absolute pleasure to follow you on your farm adventures and, for me, it creates a feeling of familiarity and comfort in a sometimes very difficult world. You are good for the soul Bev.
Anonymous said…
Happy New Year!
colleen said…
Your new Farmhouse Cardigan is absolutely gorgeous!
Moonie, you are as handsome as ever (even after a roll in the mud) and hoping your "winking" eye will soon be healed. xoxoxo


jaz@octoberfarm said…
happy new year bev! this is going to be a long 16 days!
Junebug said…
Happy New Year! Moonie is looking great! Love, love the cardigan! 2021 will be a great year, stay safe, and the memories are just beginning!
Marcia LaRue said…
Wishing all BHA visitors and Bev, Hubbs, and all the Critters a very Happy New Year ... Anything HAS to be better then 2020 was!
Happy New Year to all of you and the animals on your farm. I am looking forward to reading your posts this year. I just know they will be wonderful.
This N That said…
Everything is better when it's shared..Oh how I miss that..
Love the icy landscape..so pretty when the sun shines on it..We haven't had much sunshine lately.
The house looks great.It always seems to be ready for the new year and a fresh start after the decorations are put away.
Happy that Moonie is doing well..
Cute sweater!!
Happy New Year
Unknown said…
Happy New Year to you all. Love seeing Moonie healing up. This may sound odd but it is comforting that despite excellent care, and your family vet right next door, you too experience animal ups and downs. Sometimes I feel if I only knew more it would be different, but life with animals just has its moments no matter what. We too reflected on the good things of 2020 as the bad is just too overwhelming. Praying that 2021 is filled with good things! Lisa G in TN.
daisy g said…
Happy New Year to you and all of your readers. Reading your blog is one of the best things about my morning. Glad y'all fared well considering how the year went.

Be Blissed!
Anonymous said…
Happy New Year!



























































Sheila said…
Happy New Year to you and yours! Moonie looks good! Best wishes he continues to improve. I love your blog. It is a nice respite from the negativity that can be prevalent these days
. I love your positive outlook while not ignoring what is going on in our world and sharing yours with us.
Leslye said…
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing your life with us and making my life a little bit brighter. Have a happy, healthy new year.
Happy New Year. Moonbeam looks really good. Animals are the best. They don't morn over what is lost....just keep giving treats and they are happy. My dogs and chickens make life feel 'normal'. Probably because life is normal for them. Patty McDonald
Thanks for being here Bev.....I look forward to reading your wonderful blog every evening. It's like one of my nicest ways to finish off my day. I love your family and all your critters and feel like we must all be related in some way!!! Happy New Year to all of you. Give that Moonie a smooch for me.
Lynne said…
Happy New Year Beverly . . .
Loved that “everything is better when shared” . . .
Snickers just awakened . . . she feels that way too . . .
Carolyn said…
I so look forward to your blog and sharing. Thank you so much for being you and making me feel like your next door neighbor. Happy New Year, Bev.