A Full Morning

Yesterday was a cool autumn day just bursting with adventure.
We rose at daybreak and tended to the usual Monday morning chores...
feeding animals, washing sheets and hanging them on the line,
doing the rest of the laundry.

We gathered the dogs together and took off for the creek,


in search of more flagstones for the path to Maven Haven.
Anything at all out of the ordinary is an adventure for the dogs.


They love to roam and follow their noses.


The creek is not their typical area to roam...
so visiting this space is an extra-special treat.


While the dogs explored the entire area,
I took note of the wildflowers blooming.
Touch-me-nots...


Asters...


False sunflowers...


White turtlehead...


And ironweed...


Tree burls always fascinate me...
I would love to see the inside of this beauty...


The creek is as low as I have ever seen it after the dry summer
that we experienced.

It's quite easy to navigate by foot...
and perfect for spotting just the right stones.


After about ten minutes of searching,
Hubbs had loaded 10 large, flat stones in the back of the gator...
enough to finish the walkway.
We transported them back to the shed and put them in place.


I love the rambling look to this curvy pathway.
Magical!

Someone was quite interested in the goings-on on the other side of the fence.


While her sister couldn't be bothered and slept right through 
all of the activity.


Just beyond the pigs, the sheep were happily grazing in the cool morning air.


Meanwhile, Sam, who was tired out from the creek adventure,
also took a nap.


While Hubbs worked on countersinking rocks,
I headed in to Maven Haven.


Her gardens have gotten quite wild...
full of all sorts of summer blooms.


The morning was still quite chilly, so I started a fire in the potbelly stove...



then worked on a little knitting while the tea pot warmed.


In no time at all we had hot tea.


By this time it was 10 AM...
and the perfect start to a perfect day here on the farm.

To Susan from Manitoba...
I actually own several of the flower fairy books by 
Mary Cicely Barker.
They are favorites of mine and of my grandchildren!!

Comments

colleen said…
I absolutely love the walkway and the fire in the potbellied stove.
Thanks for posting the wildflowers and naming them. We visit a small island close to us and I saw white turtleheads for the first time a few weeks ago. xoxoxo
Anonymous said…
Love all those wild flowers!
littlemancat said…
I was thinking about the Haven and there it is! With the cooler weather, the perfect place for a visit.
Love the wildflower pics - I've always heard the name Jewelweed for the touch-me-nots. The sap from them is supposedly good for insect bites or poison ivy.
Mary
Chris T said…
I love those books too and bought the sets of wall plates that were produced featuring some of the flowers. Unfortunately my two daughters were not so enamoured and left them with us when they moved out and none of our grandchildren have shown the least interest.
This N That said…
Perfect start to a beautiful day...The walkway is a great addition..Hugs
I love reading your blog. And I especially love the pics of Sammie, the big brown dog. He would make a great children's book.
Lynne said…
First I have seen White Turtle Head . . .
Interesting and pretty . . .
Loved all the flowers.
The flat stone and winding path added the extra touch.
Love the pot bellied stove, with fire, warming your tea.
So wonderful Beverly . . .