Not-So-Lovely Surprises

Yesterday I showed you some of the wonderful surprises
that can be found when wandering through the woods
on a beautiful spring day.


(A note on fiddleheads:  we do not eat ours, as I am not savvy
as to what type is edible.  Not all fiddleheads are edible.
Some, in fact are poisonous, and some are carcinogenic.
Instead, I just enjoy them photographically.)

As for morels... they are a variety of edible mushrooms 
that are very easy to identify...
with nothing else that looks like them... if you know what you are looking for.

If I had been wandering in the same place,
at a slightly different time,
however,
I might no longer be amongst the living.
Just where I was hunting for morel mushrooms the previous 
morning, a tree snapped in half and came tumbling down into the woods,
crossing the path of the driveway.


This is the second tree around the farm that has
bitten the dust thanks to a fierce wind storm.
This one smashed through the fence.


Every time we have a wind storm like that,
I worry about our old pine tree next to the barn.
It's the oldest living thing on the farm and is
well over 200 years old.


After the winds died down a bit,
the rain took over causing water to flow across the land
in places where it doesn't normally flow.


Streams crested over their banks,
as all of this excess water coursed towards the river.


Spring, in all of her beauty,
can be fierce and destructive as well.

Needless to say, the only animals who ventured out of their 
shelters yesterday were the guineas.

And they stayed pretty close to the barn.


We all stayed hunkered down inside and waited for
sunnier days.


I made a pot of carrot bisque,


and a pan of lemon-glazed blueberry rolls-
a recipe from the newest Magnolia Table cookbook.


We finished our day of not-so-lovely surprises
with a roof leak (from horizontal rain)
and a fire in the microwave.
I was merely melting butter in a pyrex dish...
and the microwave decided to catch itself on fire.

I was sort of glad when this day came to an end!


Hopefully now that May has arrived,
we will soon see some extended sunshine and warmth.
I am ready to open the windows and doors and allow 
some fresh air to circulate through the house.

Another Friday has arrived...
and I am very excited!
The bricks for my shed floor are being delivered today.
I cannot wait to start working on the interior,
so that I can get all of these ideas out of my head!

Comments

colleen said…
I guess there really is truth in ….. It never rains but it pours. One thing for sure, those blueberry rolls look scrumptious. I am anxious to see the brick floor in the shed. Make it a great weekend. xxxx
Unknown said…
We get over 40 inches of rain in TN a year and I worry about roof leaks. I was concerned when your solar panels went up in the roof, were they the culprit?
What a day you had indeed! At least you got it all over in one day. Pray you have a beautiful sunny weekend. Lisa G in TN
daisy g said…
Wow! That was one of those days that would have kept a lesser person in bed all day with the covers over their head! ;0D

It just means that things today should be much better.
Hope you have a less dramatic weekend!
Bee Haven Bev said…
Actually it leaked where there were no panels. It is an area where there is a roof angle and I think the water seeped in under the flashing.
Katmom said…
Happy Friday,,, and after all that happened,,, I think you are entitled to all those yummy lemon buns,,, no sharezies,,!😁
Hugz,
This N That said…
Not a great goodbye from April...May will be better. At least the sun is out! !Happy May... Hugs
jaz@octoberfarm said…
the only fiddleheads i eat are the ones from ostrich ferns. they have to be boiled first to be edible. in fact, i might be getting some tomorrow. i can't wait to see the inside of your shed. it's such an exciting project.
Barbara Beach said…
Despite all the not-so-nices, happy to hear no one was hurt.
There is nothing like opening the doors & windows & letting all the fresh air in! Great blessings to you & yours in May.
Beachgram said…
Also had microwave problem....the door would not open, just locked up tight.
The chicken dinner inside will remain there & smelled so good. Happy May Day and glad no one was hurt with falling tree.