Who Is Training Whom?

It is my opinion that - 
of all the animals that live here on the farm,
the pigs are definitely the smartest!


Every morning, the gate to the front pasture is opened and they are given
free range.
It's at this time of day that the sheep and the donkeys are also in the front pasture,


the equines having spent the night in the upper pasture (in muzzles... to slow down consumption.)


The donkeys are only allowed a few hours of grazing,


while the sheep and pigs have access to grass for the entire day and evening.


For the past several days, when it is time to call the donkeys back in,
the pigs have been found loitering in the donkey yard.


Don't think for a moment that this is coincidence.
No, it is a well-planned, well-executed maneuver to procure
Ritz crackers!

You see, the only way to get the pigs out of the donkey yard is to entice them out
with Ritz crackers.

I quickly throw a few Ritz onto the ground to occupy the pigs,
while I run to the donkey yard and quickly close the gate
behind the already retreating donkeys.


Hubbs reminded me yesterday that I am reinforcing bad behavior.
That may be the case,
but... my method works.
And I hate to tease the pigs out with crackers and then not give them any.
Pigs are way too smart... and I don't want them to distrust me.
After all, they do come when I call them...
only because they know I bear treats!

Two days ago, Hubbs and I cleaned the upper part of the barn...
consolidating all old hay on one side.


Then yesterday, we took delivery on a hundred bales of fresh hay.

It's never too soon to start planning for the upcoming winter.
Not knowing what the remainder of the summer's weather conditions will be,
it's wise to take hay while it is available.


We'll need one more delivery before summer is over.

Normally, I load the hay on the elevator and Jack stacks it in the barn.


Yesterday, however, I was nursing a sore shoulder from the
previous day's stacking.
Light duty for me = documenting the day.
Luckily, we had help from Anna...




Comments

The JR said…
We baled 197 bales this past Saturday and Sunday. A lot of hard work for my hubby. I'm fighting the worst upper respiratory infection. So all I could do was drive the Polaris pulling the trailer for him.

Horses, hay and all that goes with them is a lot of hard work that most people don't understand. I have talked many people out of thinking they want a horse. When I tell them it costs $285 every 6 weeks for the farrier, that freaks them out. Not to mention the horse feed, vet bills and many other things that we do for them.

Ya'll are hard working people. Take care,
Lynne said…
I enjoy observing, hearing about your “team farm workings!”
A mighty fine farm and happenings you and hubs have created.
(Take care of those sore muscles!)
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i bet that hay smells good! i think it's smart to stock up now. with all of this rain, there might be a shortage and higher prices.
kay saylor said…
When I kept horses hay was always an ongoing concern. Having enough to last. Hoping your hay farmer will have enough for you to purchase. Having help to put it all up in the barn before it rains. Worrying about the fire risk in the barn. I miss having my boys at home, but I don't miss that.
Cheryl said…
Farming is hard work. I truly admire you and your hubby!
My maternal grandparents (who immigrated here from the Ukraine)farmed their whole lives in Niagara County (New York). It was basically a dairy farm but they also had orchards of apples, peaches, cherries, plums as well as grapes. In addition, there was also a HUGE vegetable garden. To top it off, they went to market several times a week to sell their produce. Gramma also sewed and knit like you...amazing woman!

A funny story? My Gramma Elizabeth, felt that it was important to have boys in order to work the farm. (this was back in the 20's) Her first 4 births yielded
all girls! Gramma was not happy! By the time she had her 4th, who happened to be my Mom, she absolutely refused to name her! So, my Grampa John, took one look at her, lying in her bassinet and said "She is as pretty as a day in May", and yes, her name became May. Gramma eventually had two more children, both boys. But as my Mom always said, the girls worked as hard if not harder than the boys.
This N That said…
I hope your shoulder is feeling better..When it comes to our animals, we do whatever works...xxoo