We Are So Excited!!

If you caught yesterday's post,
then you already know that five more runner ducks are coming to live on the farm.
Did I say five?


Well, the number has increased to six....
oops, no....seven.


Yes, on Thursday evening, seven more ducks will be arriving.
At that point, we will have an even dozen runner ducks...
actually.... we think they are runner ducks, but the jury is out on that...
at least until they grow a little bigger.
(Maybe, part, runner ducks.)

As with everything, time will tell.
These sweet little ducklings were hatched out by this broody hen...


on another small farm about an hour from us.

Here they are....getting a little big for their adoptive mother!


Here are their real parents...



I am wondering if these ducklings are starting life
in a state of confusion.
Regardless, given time, they will settle in to life as ducks...
increasing the size of our bug patrol two-fold and then some!


Ducklings and Henlings grow up so fast.
Just look at these gals...


gangly teenagers, all...
who now like to roost on the highest rungs of the roosting ladder at night.


Those teenagers... flirting with danger!

Yesterday was a cooler, soggy day-
and I am not complaining.
Neither is the plant-life.  We've been watering, but everything needed a really good soaking.


I stopped by the garden to harvest...


our first tomatoes of the season...



and more squash.
It's been a great year for cucumbers and squash...


and berries!
Just about every day we pick blueberries and raspberries.
I've made a few batches of raspberry jam.


And using all of the berries that are in season now, made some
Brambleberry Buckle.
Yum!!
I have tweaked the recipe a little and it just gets better and better.


I am still working on the sweater that I started in May.
It may take all summer.
I only have the sleeves left to finish, however.

Yesterday's rain put me in the mood for sewing,
 so I have begun this dress pattern for Mackenzie,


using these two fabrics.


"Idle hands"... I guess I never need worry about that!

Comments

colleen said…
Ducks, ducks, ducks!!! My husband hatched 10 ducks for a young co-worker, who is starting a farm. We are so happy to be able to help him. Well how many of the 10 did he actually get???? Eight!!! I try not to let hubby know how excited I get as thing could get out of hand :)
The dress pattern is sweet as can be....prob by now it's a dress and not just a pattern. Can't wait to see how it turned out.
I will be writing the blueberry buckle recipe down... saw it on Instagram tfs

jaz@octoberfarm said…
do you notice the difference in your bug count now that you have the ducks? that dress is going to be so cute!
daisy g said…
How exciting! I just love those runner ducks since being introduced to them on your blog. Two of my gardening friends now own some as well and they are always so entertaining.

The dress for Mac will be adorable!
Yay! More runner ducks!