Surprise Visitors

We spent a wonderful day yesterday with our Littles.
It was a last-minute surprise visit of the very best kind.


On one of our many trips via "GoGo" as Easton likes to call it,
we stopped in the pig yard so that we could open their gate to the front pasture.


The front pasture is a space where these two had never before played,
and there was so much to explore.


 The pigs loved having visitors.
By the end of the visit, the pigs headed for their pool...


to cool down a little.


The Littles drove around the barnyard in their mini-gator.
Suddenly, Mackenzie shouted, "There's a frog in the gator!"


Sure enough, a little toad had made this space his home.


I picked him out of the gator and placed him in Mack's hand.


This girl has no fear.


Fascinated, she decided that she (apparently her name is Sophia) 
needed to live in my perennial garden
instead of the gator.
Mack carefully carried Sophia over to the garden and gently placed her on the ground.


We had a full day... playing, lunch, GoGo rides, swimming, running in the pastures,
doing animal chores...
non stop action the entire day!


We even spent a little time picking veggies in the garden.
These two ate raw asparagus and raw sugar pea.
We picked a kohlrabi...


Kohlrabi is a strange vegetable in the brassica family.
It tastes like a sweeter version of the broccoli stem.
Many people don't know what to do with kohlrabi.
It's a veggie that we grow every year, and we have learned that it is
delicious roasted with carrots.


I remove the leaves and peel the outer layer from the ball.
Then I cut it into pieces the same size as my carrot pieces,
rub them with a little olive oil, and add salt and pepper and roast them in the oven
at 400 degrees until soft.
Delicious!

Comments

colleen said…
The best kind of day ever!! I had no idea what to do with kohlrabi or what it tasted like, thanks for sharing that info. Have a great weekend.
jaz@octoberfarm said…
what a fun day! i like kohlrabi sliced and eaten with dips or in salads.
The JR said…
I'll have to try the kohlrabi roasted. I can't remember how I tried it when I got some a long time ago.

I know roasting okra is a favorite of ours.

Happy weekend.
So much fun! That first photo is superb!
daisy g said…
I think I need to start growing kohlrabi. Maybe next season.

Sounds like a fun day. I'll bet you slept well!

Enjoy your weekend.
This N That said…
A great day for everyone..Bet you were pooped but it's a good kind of pooped..Hugs
deodar said…
Kohlrabi is great raw.
Lynne said…
Fun day with the littles . . .
I hope “froggy” enjoys his new home.