What Happened To My Black Sheep?

I can scarcely believe that another Friday is here.
Did your week whiz by?  Mine sure did.
It was a week with countless hours spent in the garden.
 I am so, so excited about this year's garden.
It's too soon for a tour, but as soon as everything gets established,
I will take you by the hand and walk you through every inch!
[so excited!!!!]

Almost every day I drive down the road to our closest greenhouse.
As I walk into the hoop houses filled with colorful plants,
I get a smile from the owner.
She chuckles a little... because just yesterday I told her I was finished.
This has happened every day this week.
"I swear... NOW I am finished!"
And back again the next day I go...
(and so on)


It's just that I keep coming up with more ideas for all of the little spaces
that have no color.
By mid-summer everything should be breathtaking.

I always have friends to watch over me!

It was a long, colorless winter... so I am just making up for those
monochromatic months of black and white.
This summer is going to be one of technicolor.
This summer I am celebrating.
I am throwing a garden party each and every day....
and you are invited!!

If I could just put these three to work weeding!  What?  You need thumbs?

Tell me... how is it that I can completely weed an empty garden box,
only to have it fill back up with tiny baby weeds the very next week?
This year I am determined to beat the weeds at their own game.
I am not going to let them get the best of me.


No, I am going to be a vigilant, tenacious weed-picking fiend.


(I am hoping that mulching with compost will end up being
the best secret weapon.)

Lately I have noticed that our two new black barn kitties are getting more and more
adventurous.
Invariably as I arrive at the barn each morning,
they are dashing back into the barn from an outdoor adventure.
They have the safety of their stall to retreat to,
but the freedom to leave through a secret opening at will.


Sam still makes his daily visits and the kittens welcome him...


purring and mewing and arching their heads up to his nose.


They've grown rather lanky and are filling out...
slowly becoming full grown cats.

There have been no more altercations with Bobby as far as I can tell.
Right now Bobby has me a little worried.


He is holding his left front paw up in the air and not bearing weight.
I hope to have Dr. Becky take a look at him today.

Also... I find myself taking a double take every time I look at Faith.


She is the spitting image of her Momma, Gracie.
See?
This photo was of Gracie and her girls two years ago.
Where did my black sheep go?


To Dawn P....
This pan on Amazon is the closest thing that I could find to what I
was cooking my eggs on yesterday.
I found mine at Home Goods for much less, though.

Lastly....
Happy Mother's Day!!
Have a terrific weekend.  We'll be back to tell you about ours on Monday.

Comments

colleen said…
Have you ever looked into the Back to Eden gardening? We have done a little of it in the past but this year we are SERIOUS about it. We had our town drop us off two huge loads (for free) of chips from trees they have chipped. We mulch our garlic with leaves, pine needles and wood chips and NEVER have a weed in them (actually I picked 5 out of them last year). Fingers crossed that it will work that well on our flower beds and veggie garden. We put the first thick layer on last fall and as the flowers are popping up we are adding another thick layer.
Missy and Hissy are beautiful. I'm glad they dare to adventure a little but I hope they never forget to return. I also hope there is nothing seriously wrong with Bobby's foot/leg.
I think Gracie was a beautiful color...and the work color reminds me of how gorgeous your flowers are going to be this summer.
Happy Mothers Day to you!
daisy g said…
I totally understand your need for color. It's been one gorgeous bloom after another here throughout the neighborhood and it never gets old.

Have you considered growing cover crops in your beds over the winter? It deters weeds well. I add newspaper or cardboard before adding mulch. It kills the weeds because the light can't get to them. Then just plant through the newspaper or remove the cardboard and you're ready to go!

Enjoy your Mother's Day!
Bee Haven Bev said…
Thanks for the ideas!!!
Dawn P. said…
Thank you, Bev. I'll be on the lookout in kitchen departments for a pan like this.
Grandma Zee said…
Oh I am so glad that I am the only one who makes daily trips to the greenhouse and says, "This is my last trip" We are getting our yard ready for a wedding and reception in June. So I am the busy grandma gardener !
Happy gardening!
This N That said…
I had to laugh at this post. We are never done. There is always a pretty flower that we just have to have. I hope Bobby is OK. Our tanbark comes with weeds like that It is very frustrating. Have a wonderful weekend. Happy Mother’s Day
Anonymous said…
Thank you for the invite to your garden party! I'll be sure to stop by every day to enjoy what is going on at Bee Haven Acres.
Mick