What A Difference A Day Makes

Never were two contiguous days more completely opposite than
Saturday and Sunday were.

Saturday was exquisite... sunny and mild with abundant blue skies.
I spent the day cleaning chicken houses, mowing, gardening,
changing sheets, doing laundry and ironing.


It was peaceful and all was right with the world.

By nightfall, though, the sky grew cloudy and threatened rain.


Sunday was cold and rainy.


In her typical fashion, Annie took off early in the morning
and didn't return til mid-afternoon.
On her return, we noticed strange behavior... she was obviously agitated about something.

We spent the day here on the farm with family.
We ate a late lunch together and just shared good family time together.
I got lots of hugs and kisses from my three grands.
I love being a mother and a grandmother...
and I love my people fiercely!
It was a perfect Mother's Day in spite of the weather.

Until...

Later in the afternoon, Jack and the kids donned their jackets and muck boots
and headed out on the gator to see the animals.


Here is where things went south.

On the way to the barn, Jack noticed one of the chickens on the fence of the pig yard...
a place we never find chickens.
They just never venture that far from their home.


By the time the gator reached the goat pasture, it became obvious...


a fox (probably a family of foxes) had been through...
in broad daylight and decimated our chicken flock.
We lost over half of our flock.
We have only 14 chickens remaining out of 30 some.
And one or two of them were quite traumatized.
Even the roosters are gone.


It's at this time of year when the fox parents begin to teach their young
to hunt... usually, though, it happens closer to June.
And normally, at that time of year we lock our chickens in their yard.
Apparently, the teaching began earlier this year.
And we believe that perhaps Annie stumbled upon the fox family
on her way home to the farm.
That would explain why she came back agitated, with blood on her,
and a little skin missing from her nose.

Luckily, the runner ducks and the guineas were unharmed...
they were in the front pasture... upset, but unharmed.


It is quite discouraging when you spend so much time caring for animals,
trying to keep them safe...
and then all of a sudden something catastrophic like this happens.
All of the birds will have to stay in their own yards for a few weeks,
until the foxes lose interest.

If only all our days on the farm could be like Saturday.
Life is not like that though.
It's full of trials and tribulations and problems to solve.
It's why a day like Saturday must be cherished and enjoyed to the fullest.

Lately we have heard several Baltimore orioles around the farm.
They have been visiting our hummingbird feeders,


as well as some orange flavored suet cakes in the front of the house.
They have the happiest song and are one of my favorite birds.

I mentioned last week that Bobby has been walking on only three legs.
Dr. Becky did check him out and feels that he has an abscess brewing in his front left leg.
There was no opening in the skin, so she put him to sleep and tried to aspirate to see
if there was any pus.
There did not seem to be a pocket of pus anywhere,
so we are going to watch it for now... it will either get better or get worse...
at which point she will be able to better localized the abscess.

Comments

Louise Stopford said…
So sorry about the chicken attack. How upsetting for you all. I absolutely dread anything like that happening to my chickens. Must have been a terrible shock. Do hope Bobby cat improves. These animals can be such a worry at times. Hope your week takes a happier turn.
jaz@octoberfarm said…
omg...that is horrible. i feel so bad for those poor birds.your farm is such a happy place that it makes this even sadder. will you get new peeps?
The JR said…
I'm so sorry about your flock.

I hope Bobby is walking on all 4 soon.

Take care,
This N That said…
Very sad...so sorry. I hope Bobby is OK. Not a cheerful way to start the week. I guess you will be ordering more chicks...xxoo
Anonymous said…
I am so sorry about the chickens. And I hope your kitty is better soon.
daisy g said…
So sorry for your loss.
farm buddy said…
Very, very sorry about your chickens. I have had this happen, and it is terribly depressing. The spring and summer before I got my Maremma puppy, I had a great deal of trouble with foxes, but having my Maremma, Bess, has made all the difference. My chickens free range during the day, and Bess does not follow them around, but I guess just her presence on the farm has kept the fox away. I did have a mink kill three hens one night in March, but since then, I have tightened up the henhouse and they have remained safe. I hope you will be able to keep the other birds safe. Best of luck to you and your animals!
littlemancat said…
I'm so sorry about the chooks - and although this is the way of things, I hope the foxes will leave Bee Haven Farm alone. And here's hoping Bobby boy will be alright.
The sight of those poor feathers scattered about - too sad.
Hugs,
Mary
Dee J. Hartman said…
When Mother Nature comes to call, we find, sometimes, tragedies that are truly disheartening! this time in survival of the fittest and it appears that the fox won over the chickens...How awful! Hoping it doesn't happen again!!!
diane in northern wis said…
Oh Bev, how sad I am to hear your news. I am amazed that a fox family could have taken that many chickens and your roosters too. Oh dear....that's just awful. I'm glad you have such a good attitude about it all...and I guess living as you do, you have to...but I don't think I could do it as well as you. Thank you for sharing your sad news...praying that you can protect the rest! Bless you.
Ugh, sorry to hear of the masacre. My chickens are out free roaming right now, I think I'll go call them in to their "yard".

Lynne said…
Catching up to the Fox massacre . . .
Oh my, sad to hear, a huge loss . . .
Not able to defend themselves bothers.me the most . . .
Like I said . . . sad!