Golden Hour

There are two times each day when 
(on a sunny day)
the sun's rays shine horizontal across the land
making the most wonderful golden glow.
It's that hour right before dusk, the golden hour.


Everything green becomes electric.
The colors of the landscape pop.
It's the perfect time to take photographs.


I was out last evening during the golden hour getting an early start 
to the tuck-in routine.


I mucked the dry lot, cleaned all of the waterers and 
worked on shedding the horses.


I used the shedder and removed gobs of winter fur.


The ponies were quite curious about a muck bucket full of fur.

As I worked on the littles, Moonbeam sniffed around my pockets,


looking for treats.


There's a behavior that is common to horses known as mutual grooming.
I often see my horses standing face to face and neck to neck using
their front teeth to scratch each other on the withers.


While I was working on shedding Red,
he in turn began grooming Ollie and Donnie.
And then, in turn, Donnie began bumping me in the butt,
as if he was thinking about grooming me as well.

"No, thank-you, Donnie,"  and I moved a little out of his reach.

We had a spectacularly sunny day yesterday,
and much of the water from the previous day's showers began to evaporate.


By afternoon it was dry enough for us to get the mowing done.
Interestingly, there are underground springs in our front pasture that
bubble up right into the pasture when the water table is high....
giving us a little stream flowing through the lower end of the pasture.


With more rain predicted for the end of the week, I doubt
that this area will dry any time soon.
Luckily, with all of our grazers, we won't need to mow this pasture
for a few weeks.

The guineas have become systematically laying eggs in the rhubarb patch.


I harvest them and add them to the chicken and duck eggs collected for the day.

(Duck...Chicken...Guinea eggs)

As you can see, they are slightly smaller than the chicken egg.
And both are much smaller than the duck egg.

Little Sissy gave me a worry yesterday,
disappearing from the barn for most of the day.


Even Hissy was worried and meowed for her.
By evening, Sissy had returned.


It seems she is our adventurer...


Comments

littlemancat said…
Love the golden hour too! The spring green is almost electric - magical. And poor little Hissy wondering if her sister would come back! So glad she did. They are such pretty little cats!
And love the eggs in the rhubarb ala Jemima Puddleduck style.
Mary
jaz@octoberfarm said…
and so the cats begin to venture out! how do the guinea eggs taste?
This N That said…
The sunlight definitely makes a difference with pictures..I'm sure the horses feel better defurred..That Moonie is a tease, for sure..I'm glad that Hissy was worried and that Sissy came home..All is well..
Casa de Carrens said…
Oh the shedding..tis the season. I lost patience and gave up on trying to shed out my 33 year old QH. His coat was so thick this year he looked like a bear. I ended up body clipping him and blanketing him on the nights it was still in the 40s. The day time temps were in the 80s and he was miserable. Hes so happy now and looks great! I love when horses stand head to tail and scratch each others whithers.