Coloring My World

Yesterday was another one of those perfect spring days....
not hot... not cold... just right...
blue skies with light fluffy clouds...
birds singing...
perfect.


We walked the horses to the upper pasture for the morning.


Meanwhile, the pigs, sheep, and donkeys occupied the front pasture.

While everyone was happily grazing,
I took a drive down the road to the greenhouse and stocked up on flowers...


waving at the neighbors on the way.
With 36 preschoolers and their parents coming to the farm on Friday,
I thought it might be a good idea to get everything in top shape.


I planted the buckets on this ladder,


but had to skip the upper-most bucket,
as it has a Carolina wren nest inside...


with teeny, tiny eggs.

I planted a lot of the planters around the garden,
and hung begonias on the side of the garden shed...


I cleaned up the first of several fairy gardens and planted some new tiny plants.
Meanwhile, Jack cut down a few dead apple trees from our orchard
and chopped the wood for use in the smoker.




It's a process, and one that takes several weeks to complete.
I am waiting another two weeks to finish the vegetable garden...
when I am certain that there is no more frost in our future.

Oh, how I love this time of year. 
I could work in the soil for the entire day.
To me, it's one of the most rewarding activities.
All of the hard work of the day will result in beautiful, colorful gardens 
in the coming months-
not to mention having fresh flowers to bring in the house.


It's lilac and viburnum season... such a heavenly fragrance.
The whole house is perfumed by this bouquet.

Happy May Day, friends!
I will be spending today with my fingers in the dirt again...
happily!

Comments

jaz@octoberfarm said…
it certainly is addictive. i spent 8 hours planting on monday and it felt like no time at all. i, too, am waiting to put in my veggies. i didn't start seeds this year and i can't do anything until willie heals. i'm not worried about frost. it's going to be 85 here today...yuck! your farm looks like even more of a dream in spring! the little visitors will love it!
susanep said…
Looks beautiful, I bet the little kids will have the best time!
Lynne said…
Beautiful . . .
Loved the video . . .
Hand clap and off they go!
Oh my . . . look what a bit of color can do . . .
and the lush green too . . .
littlemancat said…
What a beautiful part of the world - Bee Haven Acres! Lilacs and viburnum - such a nostalgic scent.
Love that red petunia! I saw some amazing color combinations of petunias yesterday while in Lancaster county. This is the best time of year!
Mary
Did you notice the wren nest is in the shape of a heart?
Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos, yours is the only blog I check in on regularly.
Grandma Zee said…
Like you, I love spring and getting out into the yard, it is my happy Place. We have had cooler temperatures and rain for several days. But now it is sunny today, altho it was 33 this am. Bust now I can get back to planting. Our lilacs are in bloom also, aren't they just heavenly?
Enjoy your yard. It is beautiful.