Change of Plans

I did not spend the first of May with my fingers in the dirt as I had planned.
No, I turned fair-weather-gardener and opted for other activities.
With an all-day threat of rain, I decided to forgo the cold, damp day
and postpone my garden chores for a sunnier time... perhaps this afternoon.


What I did, instead, was pick a handful of violets to candy.
While I was out picking violets, I ran into this little one.


I've been seeing baby groundhogs down by our old log cabin.
This one was not afraid of me at all, but just sat there watching me
as I walked right up to it and snapped a photo.

Then, back home with a handful of dainty, purple violets.

Candying violets is simple:
Beat an egg white until frothy.
Paint the egg white on the violet petals, front and back, with a little paintbrush,
and then sprinkle generously with very fine sugar.
Allow to dry overnight.


Of course I needed something on which to place the violets,
so I baked chocolate-sour cream cupcakes with buttercream/cream cheese frosting.
Voila!


Oh, how I love a good cupcake!

Jack, however, is not a cupcake fan, but prefers less sweet desserts that have nuts.
For him, I pulled some sour gooseberries out of the freezer,
and added them into myBlueberry Buckle recipe to replace the blueberries.


Yummy!... the perfect blend of sweet and sour.


I published the recipe in this blog post.

The rest of the day was spent running errands, seeing a movie,
and arriving home just in time to feed our critters and tuck them in for the night.



I'll be finishing my fairy gardens today and will give you a tour tomorrow.

PS... we had another bear visitation Tuesday night.
I was awakened in the middle of the night by the sound of the front deck furniture
being moved.
I tiptoed over to the front window, only to see a huge black bear
lumbering across the deck.
We take our bird feeders down each evening, so there is nothing here to eat.
Eventually he will get the message and stop visiting.
Luckily, he only visits at night, so there are no safety issues.

Lastly... I received a question earlier this week about our apple orchard, and how we raise
organic apples.
There are some organic sprays available, however, we do not use them because of the sheep.
Instead, we accept the fact that our apples are not pretty.
They taste good, but are ugly... which none of us mind.
They make great pies and great cider!

Comments

Lynne said…
Liking the Sweet Violets candied for the cupcakes . . .
Liking the Blueberry Buckle recipe changed up with gooseberries . . .
Reminds me of my dad, his favorite pie was Gooseberry!
(no doubt I have mentioned that before)

Ground hogs can be destructive but your little one looks harmless.
Black Bear, Black Bear . . . scoot!

Bunches of rain happening around us these past days.
We needed it and the GREENING UP is looking marvelous.
Enjoy your first weekend in May.

daisy g said…
Oh my word, I've never seen a groundhog. It's so cute!

Your violets turned out lovely, not to mention your goodies. Aren't you clever to think of doing such a thing?!

Enjoy your day with the fairies!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
beautiful cupcakes! i bought some apples that a little boy was selling by the side of the road a few years ago. a bushel for 5.00. no sprays were used and they were ugly little apples. i bought them because i felt sorry for the kid sitting there all day. they were some of the best apples i ever baked with! i am waiting for rain today.
I have not made a buckle before but I will try it. It looks sooo good.
This N That said…
Love the Violets...They sure make lovely cupcakes..Pretty to look at and good to eat too..Groundhog cutie...all baby animals are cute..Glad you took a day off..so to speak..Hot and humid today..A sign of things to come..Whoopee!! Enjoy..xxoo
I love a good cupcake too - and bake them - which doesn't help me weight loss efforts. How do you stay so fit? I know the answer - moderation - of which I am not very good.