The Last Harvest

Yesterday was a beautiful Autumn day...
bright sunshine with cold wind... 
crisp and dry.
(dry is something we've not experienced much in the past few months)


Our little people spent the day on the farm...
breakfast through late afternoon.

Easton is obsessed with the gator.
Just mention the word gator ,
and he heads towards the door nodding his head affirmatively.


Mackenzie, now 3, is a riot.


Oh, the things that come out of her mouth.
As I walk towards the gator, where the two of them are sitting waiting for me...
she looks at me and says,
"Leave us alone, we're going to Costco!"
???????????????

We spent a part of the morning in the garden.
I had noticed that the frost had finished off the sweet potato vines,
and decided to harvest the potatoes.


While the kids played in the playhouse, 
and the dogs wrestled on the ground...


I pulled the vines and uncovered the sweets.


Probably because of all the rain...
we have grown record-breaking potatoes this year.
They are massive... one is enough to feed a family of six!


This is not an optical illusion... they are actually that big!

By the time I had finished, I had enough to feed a small army.
Several of them are as large as the two above.



The kids eagerly helped me with afternoon chores...
for Easton, another chance to ride in the gator.
I asked Mack to gather eggs...
and with no fear of the chickens or turkeys who were in the chicken yard,
she marched right into the chicken house and got to work.


Ever so carefully, she picked up each egg and placed it into the carton.


With the eggs safely stowed in the gator,
she headed up the driveway to the upper pasture where Becky's horse, Sid,
was grazing.
In no time flat, she shimmied up the fence and called to Sid...
seeing her, he turned on his heels and trotted right to the fence


 where Mack stood waiting... no fear at all.
She is a real miniature farmgirl...
right down to her purple muck boots.

Later in the afternoon I harvested the rest of the peppers.
I'll cut the sweet peppers into strips and freeze them.


The poblanos, I am thinking of stuffing.

Well, another Friday has rolled around.
Our weekend, so far, should be a fairly quiet one.
I hope to do a little more garden work if the weather cooperates.

Have a great weekend!!



Comments

daisy g said…
Oh my stars! Look at those sweet taters! I'll be harvesting mine this weekend. I grew them in a tub for the first time, so I'm curious to see how we did.

Looks like gorgeous weather there. Yay, autumn!
Patsy from Illinois said…
That Mack is a mini Bev. You have the cutest littles!
Anonymous said…
Those are very impressive sweet potatoes!
littlemancat said…
Wow - what beautiful veggies! And Costco - hahaha! Love it. Miss Mackenzie, the Braveheart. I agree, she's a mini Bev.
Mary


This N That said…
Easton looks adorable sitting in the gator! And Mack, gathering eggs, wow. They have been on the farm since they were born and it certainly shows. So glad they're not afraid of things. Many thanks to you. You have a lot of helpers and that's a good thing. Those sweet potatoes are amazing.
Lynne said…
Looks like Sweet Potato Heaven . . . WOW . . .
Better than going to Costco!
(I have kept a collection of my great granddaughters “verbal gems”.)
Wishing you a sunny weekend!
Rebecca2 said…
Your farm is just beautiful. You do a great job; everything is so colorful and interesting. Your furry/feathery friends know a good deal when they see one.