Frost on The Pumpkins!!

It took weeks, but Autumn has finally arrived...
and it may have left already and been replaced by winter!

It was 37 degrees yesterday morning when I went out to do chores.
During the afternoon I received a weather alert on my phone
warning of a freeze during the night.
Looks like two little piggies will have a heat lamp on for the night.


Freezing nights belong to winter!

Because I know that weather like this will be certain death for summer's flowers,
I took a moment to photograph the remaining colors of summer
so that I can commit them to memory for the grey months ahead.

Cannas...


Profusion Zinnias


Cock's comb


more Zinnias...


Dahlias....oh, how I love dahlias!


Fuchsia...



Soak in the color, for I believe it will very soon be gone.

Yesterday was a beautiful fall day.
The temperatures eventually reached the mid-fifties.
I am in heaven when the thermometer begins to fall.
I love cold, crisp days!

Its was the perfect Autumn day... filled with errands...
stocking up on feed, pine shavings...
a trip to the local produce stand for fall veggies...
and a trip to the local auto parts store for a new belt for the hay elevator.
I try, whenever possible, to be self sufficient...
so, yesterday's goal was to buy and replace the belt that drives the hay elevator...
without asking for any help.
Mission accomplished!
I couldn't help but notice that while I worked...
everyone else took a siesta...


I can only imagine how heavenly it must be to nap in the warm sunshine on a chilly day.
Naps have never been a part of my life... ask my Mom... not since the age of 18 months.


Today is going to be a fun day... as we have two little fairies 
spending the day with us!


Comments

littlemancat said…
Good for you - fixing the hay elevator! Impressive. And the flowers in all their beauty, sad to say good-bye.
The two last pics are too cute! Love 'em.
Mary
Kari said…
Love the pics of the kids!!
This N That said…
I have always said that if you want to do something you do it and do it right. Good for you. You have to worry about the tension very much? Cute pictures of the kids. How did you do that? Yes, soon the summer colors Will be replaced by beautiful fall colors. I hope. There has been very little change in the trees so far. Enjoy these days.
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i want to ride a rooster! when i start napping the end is near! i am LOVING this weather though it is more like winter than fall.
Anonymous said…
Kid pictures are priceless!
Phyllis
Dee J. Hartman said…
I wish I had your energy! At 74years of age, I do take naps! LOL
An American in Tokyo said…
Those chicken riding pictures are hilarious!!
Bwahahahahaha!!
Katmom said…
someone is having fun photo shopping! lol!
No color left around here.. we pruned everything almost 2 weeks ago,, and put the rest to bed for winter.
I did manage to get a small crop of white taters,, but I am intrigued,, I might have to grow sweet taters next year!
Time to settle in for winter,
hugz
>^..^<