One Step At A Time

Nighttime storms and morning drizzle gave way to a much cooler,
less humid yesterday.


I sat at the picnic table under our old pine, Sampson, enjoying the 
soft, cool breeze and waiting for the ducks to emerge from the barn.


I had opened their stall door and filled their little pool earlier in the morning.
Judging from the amount of duck poop in the aisle, I could tell they were quite curious
about the big outdoors.


I sat there in the shade of the tree watching and waiting.
Sammie laid in the sunny grass in front of the barn and did a little backstroke.


Chester played in the shade, nearby, with a stick.
It seemed a great day for lying on one's back in the grass.


Moments passed and suddenly there was a flurry of quacking from inside the barn.
One by one, the runner ducks emerged and peered out the front of the barn.


Ever so tentatively they advanced toward the front of the barn...


and then retreated to the safety of their stall.

Repeat.

Repeat.

Repeat.


Until, finally, all the ducks emerged.


Closer and closer to the doorway...
and...
finally...
they stepped outside.


But, only for a moment.


It's a start.
From experience, I know that it will take a little time until they feel safe enough
to venture farther.


Eventually, we plan to lead them into my vegetable garden...
employing them as our own personal pest control.


Comments

Louise Stopford said…
Oh those ducklings are so sweet - they'll get more confident in time and start to enjoy the great outdoors. What a wonderful life they have waiting for them.
littlemancat said…
Love the ducklings! Mother Nature has given them a cautious personality for reasons unknown to us. They'll be moving along soon into the wonderful world of Bee Haven Acres - bug patrol!
Mary
I never knew ducks were so timid. But I guess they have cause to be.
Dee J. Hartman said…
I enjoyed watching the timid future pest control peek out into the big, wide, outside world of Bee Haven Acres!
What an adorable flock of ducks!
An American in Tokyo said…
I love that they are so careful!
Can't wait to see your Bug Patrol team in action! hee hee!
Katmom said…
Oh Sighhh, I will just have to garden vicariously through you.. so far between mother nature (with an attitude) and horrible soil, abandoned after nearly 10 years,, I have pretty much thrown in the towel... thank goodness, my lavender plants are not fussy... lol!
oh and fyi,,, the Quail think my flower bed is the perfect spot for their dirt bathes,, want to trade a few Quail for some ducks! lolol!
>^..^<