This Post Is For The Birds!

There are spaces around the farm that are great for just sitting
and observing.
The pond is one of them.
It's a peaceful, idyllic setting on the edge of the woods...
and teeming with life.
Fish, frogs, ducks, birds, dragonflies and various land mammals
frequent this area.


Last week I shared just a few of the many frogs that can be found on the rip-rap
surrounding the water.

Yesterday I sat by the pond listening.
I had earlier heard the distinctive song of a Baltimore Oriole...
and I wanted to catch a photo of him.


I sat quietly for a moment just taking in the scene...
a slight foggy mist still hanging in the air over the pond,
yet untouched by the sun's early morning rays.

And then I heard it... high in the top branches of a sycamore tree.
I looked up, searching for his bright orange feathers.
Something rust colored caught my eye as I peered through the lens of my camera...


and something more...


I find fungus so fascinating.

Finally, there he was...


singing his heart out!


my favorite bird song of all!
If you don't know what their song sounds like, listen HERE.


Every year we have a couple pairs of Baltimore orioles that return to the farm.
Their return is one of my favorite Spring happenings.

Sadly, our pond duck population has had the dwindles this spring.
We are down to Stella...


and her two suitors.


As for the Muscovy ducks, only this gal remains.


And she has been trying her hardest to nest...
making this soft downy nest on top of a card table in the duck hut.
Yes, she pulled all of those downy feathers from herself.
Now that is motherly love.


It's a safe place for her to lay...
but not a safe place for ducklings.
Luckily, I don't believe she is laying fertilized eggs.

Dr. Becky and her hubby, Rob purchased a game camera and sent us these two photos from it...


A lovely turkey buzzard in the woods.


Isn't it amazing what diversity is found in the world of birds??
We live in a wondrous world.
Truly.

Comments

jaz@octoberfarm said…
i don't think we have baltimore orioles here. though i feel like i live in an aviary! i have so many birds that i rarely see a mosquito of many bugs at all. it's going to be a hot muggy weekend here!
Anonymous said…
I agree with you - fungus are fascinating. Beautiful bird pictures - love the turkey buzzard.
So true, we are so blessed to live in areas that are abundant with wildlife!!!
Lynne said…
Fabulous pictures . . .
I am sitting on our screened porch, over looking the bird feeders, wood edge.
I turned the sound up to hear the Oriole song and oh my . . .
The birds went into a tizzy . . .
Chirping, flying, two cardinals almost hit the side of the porch . . .
I too love the Oriole song . . .
This N That said…
Nice shots of the Baltimore Oriole..I haven't seen one for years..lovely song..Fungi are fun..so varied..Great Turkey Buzzard shots on the game cam!! Sorry about your Duck population..that's sad..