Hatching An Idea

In case you are still wallowing in Winter's leftovers...
I wanted to give you hope.


We had a glorious day yesterday... not yet as warm as we would love it,
but still, not cold, not rainy, not snowy.
And since we cannot be picky, we will just call it glorious!


The sun shone and the colors brightened.

We've been having some trees cut down...
pine trees that are dead and threatening to fall on structures.

We also had a few black walnut trees next to the pasture taken down.
Black walnut is toxic to horses.


The sheep were quite curious about this new addition in the pig yard.

You might remember that we have a 250 year old pine tree by the barn.
It is mammoth and seemingly healthy, despite a lightening strike a few years back. 
Fifty yards from Sampson, out in the front pasture, lived his sister tree...
a much smaller version.
Sadly, this tree was half dead and needed to be cut down as well.


Yesterday, I was out in the front pasture cleaning up manure.
Hubbs was fixing fences,


and the dogs were busy playing.


As I worked around the felled pine tree, 
an idea started to percolate in my tiny brain.


I realized that the trunk of this tree was way too big for us to cut...
and it seemed a waste to just have it dropped into the woods to rot.

Why not turn it into a fairy garden??


I asked the tree cutters to cut off the bottom of the tree.
When I told them what I had planned to do with it...
they offered to hollow-out one side so that I could plant it.


They moved it close to the barn...
where I discovered termites crawling out of the wood.


Needless to say, we moved it to another location, far from the barn.
I'll show you the progress with this little garden over the coming weeks.


While I was working on my log,
the turkeys were outside the barn showing off.


One of the photos that I took of them shows perfectly
how their inner eyelid works...

open...


closed...


Pretty cool, huh?

Comments

Lynne said…
Interesting shape and bump out on that pine tree . . ,
It will make a charming fairy garden setting.
“Cool Shades” on that massive turkey!
Colleen said…
You do give me hope in knowing that we are about two weeks qnd soon it woll be more like spring around here. Despite more snow on the ground than I would like I can see a sliver of a flower garden and the rhubarb is peeking through.
Can hardly wait to follow along as you build the fairy garden.
Louise Stopford said…
Your ideas are great .. looking forward to seeing progress on the Fairy Garden. Think Spring has sprung here as well - beautiful sunny days with everything budding. We are getting there!!
daisy g said…
At first, I thought you were going to say you'd be growing your own mushrooms, but I love the fairy garden idea!
It does look glorious there. We are enjoying a beautiful spring day-at least for today!
Dee J. Hartman said…
I never saw a live turkey that close. What an "eyeful" of an inner eyelid (plus other neat pics on this post)!
What a great idea, your fairy garden! I hate to see the old trees come down, but sometimes it has to be. We lost about seven trees in the last nor-easter a few weeks back. Ugh.

My fairies will love visiting your garden. They still have tea and biscuits for breakfast. Lol.
This N That said…
There is nothing tiny about your brain!! The fairy garden will be wonderful I'm sure..Great pictures of the dogs and the turkeys..Enjoying the weather?? Yuk
Bee Haven Bev said…
I have so many ideas of how I want to use this stumpy setting!
Bee Haven Bev said…
Oh Colleen... it flurried here today. Just think how lovely our gardens will eventually be!!
Bee Haven Bev said…
Louise... we have so very many fairies around here... it's a full time job just keeping them in housing!
Bee Haven Bev said…
We have grown some mushrooms in the house in the past... it was quite fun. I think I will just stick to our wild mushrooms...morels and hen of the woods.
Bee Haven Bev said…
Our turkeys are quite tame and are always right up in our business!!
Bee Haven Bev said…
We've had an awful lot of trees die this year...and the ones that threaten our house are better cut down carefully than falling down haphazardly. I hate to see them go... but I hate the potential hazard even more. I guess we will just be thankful that we have a lifetime supply of firewood.
Bee Haven Bev said…
Patsy... I can hardly wait for your fairies to visit again. We have special cakes and lavender tea saved just for the occasion!!
Bee Haven Bev said…
Oh, my.... it snowed again today!
That's a great idea to do with the bottom of that tree! Do wild turkeys have the same kind of inner eye I wonder? They are rampant on my property the past few weeks, I love waking to the sight of them in the back garden!