The Last Bit of News

It's Friday (again...can you believe it?),
and here is your last bit of news from the farm for the week.

You might remember me mentioning my worry list yesterday.
Well, by the end of the day I had one more thing to add to it.
Red.


Red stopped eating yesterday afternoon and I suspected that he had a touch of colic.

Dr. Becky made a house call (oh, how we appreciate the fact that she is here on the farm!)
and felt that his bowel sounds were a bit spasmodic.


His temperature was normal.
So, she gave him a dose of Bantamine (a non-steroidal that works well for GI symptoms)
and put him on stall rest until he poops... just to make sure everything was working well.
If not, he would need a tube passed.

And so, much to his chagrin, we closed him in a stall for a couple hours.

Hopefully he will get through this little upset quickly.


The rest of the herd is doing just fine.
Donnie seems to be healed, however, we are keeping him separate through the weekend.
The rest of the horses have not been back out on pasture either.
I know that if the rest left and went to pasture, Donnie would spend the time upset,
running back and forth along the fence.
So... to keep him quiet, the rest have to stay quiet as well.
Bummer.
Indeed.

Jack and I drove to State College, PA yesterday for their annual ArtsFest...
where I found this perfect garden plaque.


Perfect, yes?

We also stopped at one of my favorite places... Tates Farm.


This is the most adorable farm stand that sells jams and jellies and fruit shrubs,
as well as plants and gift items.


They also have a few cats that provide photo opportunities.


The weather continues to be delightful, 
and by early evening as shade settles across most of the farm,
the pigs and sheep happily head back out to the front pasture.
This is one of the most idyllic scenes here on the farm... sheep happily grazing.


Remember last week when I discovered that we have a rooster amongst our young hens.


Well.... there are more... maybe two more.
This reddish chicken...


and this one, too...
(a Lakenvelder, I believe)


The one that I am sure about is a speckled Sussex, 
I believe (please correct me if I am wrong.)


The larger combs are highly suspicious.
And, we've heard the juvenile version of a "cock-a-doodle-doo" from more than one source.
Oh my....
Anyone in need of a rooster?  or three?

Have a wonderful weekend.
Hopefully my worry list will diminish by Monday.
Regardless, we'll be back to share the weekend's adventures with you.

Comments

colleen said…
Hope Monday finds all is well and back to normal on the farm. Enjoy your weekend.xoxo
GeorgiaHoneyBee said…
Oh no!!! Roosters are bad news! We just ordered 15 laying chicks, so I am hoping for zero Roos!!! Poor Red! It's a good thing you know their patterns so well. Don't worry... it's such an energy drag. :-) hope you have an awesome weekend!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i hope things settle down and you have a relaxing weekend. i have that sign too! hot snd humid here all weekend. i am SO ready for fall!
This N That said…
I hope Red is OK..Perfect Plaque..Oh no...not more Roosters..I hope they behave!! Enjoy your weekend..gonna get hot again..Yuk!!
Thefarmerswife said…
And its Friday the 13th