The Continuing Duck Debacle

Do you remember last week's Hundred Dollar Duck Debacle?
Well, then you might remember me throwing my hands up in the air and saying
"that's it".... meaning, no more ducks!

I meant it at the time.
And then, Wednesday evening happened.
And this...


So, let's back up a little.
Wednesday, during the day, I got a frantic text from our farm friends
who "gifted" us the four white roosters.
(of which we have one remaining... Fish)
Well, it seems a neighbor had a mama duck and 12 ducklings in their pool.


The mama would take the ducklings swimming and then when 
swimming lessons were over, the ducklings would have to find a way back out of the pool...
which was proving impossible.
(so much so, that one got swept into the skimmer basket and perished)


After a whole day of watching these ducklings, building rafts, ramps


and trying everything to get them out of the pool and keep them out,
they realized that a duck relocation had to be done.



I suggested that they catch the mama first and then her ducklings and transport them all
to a neighboring creek bank.
Everything went smoothly, until Mama duck escaped...
leaving her babies behind.

Fearing for the babies safety,
they asked if they could bring the babies to the farm.

Macy, holding box of ducklings... Maggie with baseball cap... and friends
Did I say "no more ducks?"
Well, that was last week.

Somehow, I ended up with 23 ducks in my large barn stall.
12 are teenagers...


11 are babies...

Danielle, Maggie and Macy's Mom
We are officially a duck rescue.
There you have it!

Comments

Maybe it's time to close in the pond and put a duck house out there.
WendyFromNY said…
If you can't fight 'em, join 'em! ROFL!
Bee Haven Bev said…
Well, we are already half way there.... we have the duck house.
daisy g said…
Bless your hearts...They couldn't have landed in a better place!
Now, what happens if your hundred dollar ducks come back? And I think they might!
Lynne said…
Years ago . . .
My parents had a pond . . . and ducks . . .
It was part of my dad’s recovery from his heart attack to
sit by the pond, watch the ducks . . .
UNTIL . . .
the turtles took over . . .
and the ducks would be gone . . .
time and time again . . .
The decision was made not to bring any more ducks . . .
(I must have missed a post, what happened to your other ducks . . . I will check back!)
This is turning out to be the Summer of the Duck!
littlemancat said…
dear Bev, these are surely some lucky duckies! All I can think of is the kiddie book "Too Many Ducklings" by - are you ready - Robert M.Quackenbush. <3!
Mary
Unknown said…
I think it is just a bit of a wink from God when you buy ducks that leave and then three times that many show up for free! Lisa G in TN
Patsy from Illinois said…
Have you gone quackers??
This N That said…
Well, you lost two and gained 11..Sounds fair to me...This whole scenario could repeat itself....They tend to nest in the same place each time..;) I hope you don't have any snapping turtles in your pond or I guess you let them get big enough that it doesn't matter?? They will be a great addition..
Anonymous said…
They're so cute! Glad you took them in.
Debbie Nolan said…
Hmm sounds like someone had a big big heart...who could resist a few ducks! Have a great weekend. P.S. One should never say no more... that is just when more shows up :)!