The Best Days

We've reached that point of spring that feels like the "sweet spot".


The planting is finished.
I have filled every possible corner with colorful flowers.
The rainfall of the past week has done it's magic and the earth
has replied with an eruption of green.


It's the time of year when my feet and my heart are light as air...
and joy oozes from every fiber of my being.


The weather is temperate.
The sky is clear.
Birdsong is abundant.
The farm is abuzz with the energy of growth.


After months of patiently waiting...
we reap the rewards.
Life is good... regardless of its twists and turns and unexpected speed bumps.
At the heart and soul of it... it is good.
A day like this is proof of that.


Now that our equines have acclimated to their grazing muzzles,
we began on Sunday night to let them out to graze for the night.
It's the perfect time to be out in the pasture... no bugs, no hot sun.

This was the scene yesterday morning as the sun rose...


horses in the mist.


They spent the rest of the day napping.


I gave them a little snack of hay mid-afternoon and let them back to pasture
out after the sun set.
I am hoping that this routine will keep them more comfortable this summer...
and keep them trim as well.

I am happy to tell you that our chicks, now one week old,
have all survived and have doubled in size.


I have never had such a robust batch of chicks as these.


And I have the sneaking suspicion that this little one, much bigger than the rest,


just might be a rooster.
Time will tell.

Our ducks have doubled in size as well.
Birds grow so very quickly.

As promised, I did a little early season garden tour for you.
I will repeat this later in the summer as things grow so that you can see the difference.


I love, love, love this time of year, don't you?

Finally, I can bring fresh cut flowers in to enjoy in the house.
These are from my tree peony...



We are enjoying our meals out on the screen porch...
a treat we can only enjoy for part of the year.
Yesterday's lunch was something scrumptious...


Grilled cheese, caprese style....
basil pesto, fresh mozzarella and fresh, vine-ripened tomatoes.
It is heavenly... but make sure your tomatoes are those wonderful summer ones!!

Comments

Louise Stopford said…
Your garden with all the plants and vegetables looks absolutely amazing. You must have put SO much work into it and now you can reap the rewards. It looked like a beautiful day - you sure do have a piece of paradise. I LOVE the red mushrooms in the corner of your garden.
WendyFromNY said…
LOVED the video of your garden! What fun it will be to watch it grow. I love all your delicious pictures, but none better than those delightful tree peonys!
Dee J. Hartman said…
Beautiful pics to see on this day...While plenty of rain is still on its way...I love all your flowers...your sandwich looks great..I'd join you for lunch...But it's much too late....I've got to get ready to teach a half day..Yet, stopped to see your blog..this fine month of May!
daisy g said…
Ooooh, I got all excited when I remembered that you would be featuring the garden today. It looks so wonderful. I'm still amazed that you can have both tomatoes and sweet potatoes growing at the same time!

The sandwiches look yummy. One of the best combinations, for sure!

Enjoy your day, Bev and thank you for reminding me to go forward in gratitude. Blessings...
littlemancat said…
Loved the tour! Truly "a garden of earthly delights!" And oh yeah, that sandwich!
Enjoy your day - cooler and cloudy here today with showers expected later. It's all good.
Mary
This is the BEST time of year, no doubt about it!
You already have vine ripened tomatoes??????????? My tomato seedlings are still tiny, I just put them out on the deck this morning to begin to harden them off. Can't wait for the first yummy tomatoes!!
Angie said…
Beth, your place is really heaven on earth. Wish I lived closer so I could visit. I am wondering if your beautiful wisteria has a support post or is it just supporting itself?