More Fun Than A Barrel of Fairies!

How much fun can be packed into one single weekend?
Oh. My. Goodness!
A ton of fun!

We kicked off our weekend with our annual preschool day at the farm.
37 +/- pairs of little feet fearlessly marched through the farm


to visit with all of the animals.


This just might be the pigs' favorite day of the year...


so many little people touching them and talking to them.


Ginger and MaryAnn were ecstatic.

Daphne and Chloe were lulled almost into a meditative trance with all of the petting
they received.


I love that these girls are like sponges...


just soaking it all in.


Of course, no farm visit is complete without group play on the pirate ship!


Eventually, they all settled into the picnic pavilion for a picnic...
and, of course, our four dogs made out like bandits!

Meanwhile, I snuck away and left the kids in Hubbs' capable hands.


My daughter Jenn and I headed to Spoutwood Farm in southern PA for their annual
Fairie Festival.
This was perhaps the most amazing festival I have ever attended.
So many people dress up for it and the costumes are fantastic.
It is held on the grounds of Spoutwood Farm and CSA in the rolling hills of PA.
There are food vendors and artists and crafts people...
demonstrations and entertainment.
I loved every minute that we were there...
and I came home with so much inspiration.

(you may want to switch the video to full screen mode so that you can better enjoy it)


Of course I couldn't leave without scoring my own set of wings and ears!
(I also brought home a pink pair for Mackenzie.)


We spent most of Saturday visiting with our "Littles"...
playing with them so that their Mommy could get her planting done.

Then Sunday, while the rain poured on our friends...


I stayed in the barn and worked on these...


Hubbs and I cut pieces of ash, drilled holes into the bottom for rebar....
and I made the tops from cocoa fiber hanging basket liners.

Next, I painted this table top...
(round wood can be purchased at Lowes)


which (when it stops raining) will be attached to a tree stump in the garden...
to be used for future tea parties.
I am in the midst of creating our own life-sized fairy realm
inside the walls of the garden.
I can't wait to serve you some tea there when it is finished.
(of course, you will need to wear your wings as well!)

Speaking of wings...
check out these visitors that we had this weekend.  
   

The hummingbirds are back!

And a rare treat was this indigo bunting at our feeder.
(Apparently they will visit feeders only in the spring... before the insect population is active.)


Comments

Colleen said…
What a weekend💕💕 please count me in for tea and I'll make the cookies.
Our hummers should be back in a week or so. Aren't the indigo buntings just breathtaking? I had a yellow - rumped warbler at the suet a few days ago.. the first I've ever had... guess he couldn't find enough bugs. Yesterday I heard an awful racket and finally spotted a common Flicker.
Those mushrooms are genius! And so easy! Great idea -
janie said…
Awesome, I'm dusting of the wings and can't wait for the party!!

Enjoy, Janie
daisy g said…
So, are you in the midst of designing your costume for next year? Wow, those folks really get into it! What a fun way to spend the day.

That is the most unique hummer feeder I've seen. Details, please!

We spotted an indigo bunting at our feeder over the last two weeks. What a treat!

Your toadstools are wonderful!
I bet the farm visit is a highlight of the year for those kids! My gawd, that indigo bunting is gorgeous!
Lynne said…
Perfect school trip place for the children. . .
jaz@octoberfarm said…
what a weekend! those children will never forget the farm visit! the festival is too cool!
Patsy from Illinois said…
A visit from all those wee ones, a hummingbird, a bunting and the love of the animals. You are very blessed. And then a visit to the Fairie Festival. This post made my soul smile. Thank you.
This N That said…
The Fairies Festival looks like a blast..Beautiful day for it..So glad the kids get to share your world. Your mushrooms are amazing..They will be fun in your garden..The Indigo Bunting is gorgeous..what vivid color..Enjoy your week!!xxoo
Marilyn F. said…
Oh what fun to have visitors and share your farm and animals. Something they will always remember. Nice projects too for your garden. Love the blue bunting beautiful color. Thanks for sharing the fun.
An American in Tokyo said…
Oooo! You are so creative!
I can't wait to see the life size fairy garden!
The toadstools(?) look great already!

That indigo bunting is a spectacular color! Wow!
diane in northern wis said…
Love your hummers and that Indigo Bunting! We had 3 or 4 Indigo Buntings around our yard every year in our last house....haven't seen one since we moved farther North. The festival you attended reminds me a little of the Renaissance Festival we used to attend in Minnesota! What fun!