Ambivalence

A song has been running through my head this week...
"This is the dawning of the Age of Ambivalence....
Age of Ambivalence...." a perhaps more accurate rendition of the song.
(After all, astronomically speaking,
the Age of Aquarius will not be dawning for another 579 years.)


Yes, Mother Nature is proving herself quite fickle this year...
her ambivalence regarding the seasons has us all a little crazy!


And so, while yesterday's snow was falling,


the trees kept budding, the bulbs kept blossoming,
and the first seedlings began pushing up above the soil in search of sun.
Search on, sweet seedlings...
for I know not where the sun might be.


Finally, there is evidence of growth in the vegetable garden.
The spinach and radish seedlings have emerged.


There is still no sign of sugar peas as I had hoped...
but the ground looks a little disturbed as if perhaps our massive rabbit population
has been dining upon dried peas.
If nothing germinates in the coming week, I will re-sow those seeds.


The rhubarb is coming in strongly as well as many tiny weedlings...
the tiny beginnings of my gardening nemesis (nemeses).

Warmer weather is inevitable.
With that in mind, we have scheduled our sweet sheep for their yearly shearing...
this coming Monday evening.


I can hardly wait to see how much fleece is removed this year.
They look especially fluffy.


And although they can see through their little woolen eye-holes,
after shearing, their vision will be unobstructed once again.


On every occasional warmer day that we have had thus far,
I have been tackling outdoor cleaning jobs....
washing moss from the decks and railings, 
and getting our screen porch ready for outdoor dining season.
This is quite a job...
 as floor, walls, ceilings and furniture get washed each spring... by hand.


Our teak furniture has weathered through 10 seasons, and is starting to show its age.
I decided that this summer it would be necessary to use a table cloth on our
outdoor table.
Because it is an unusually large square, tablecloths are rather limited.
Since the window trim on the porch is hunter green, I decided to just go with an inexpensive hunter green check table cloth.


That way the existing seat covers could be used again. 
(I threw these in the washer and dryer to rejuvenate them.)
Not wanting to mix too many patterns, I ordered two table cloths...
the second to be used for sewing accessories...
pillows and a small tablecloth to match.


I re-covered pillows that I had previously used, rather than buy new.
For the price of a second tablecloth ($12) I ended up with four throw pillows, 
a small tablecloth, and enough fabric to make dinner napkins.
Score!


(Although I would have loved a more colorful pattern, this will do just fine...
😐
and at this price, if I only use it for a few years....
I will have gotten my money's worth...
and then some.)
Excuse my ambivalence... it's must be the season!

Comments

Lynne said…
A few minutes ago I vented on another post about this crazy weather as well . . .
Wish I had copied it before I published.
Ambivalence says it best!

Bunnies have nibbled one of my favorite grasses almost to the ground . . .
We have snow covering all over, temperatures in the twenties, three inches of ice under the snow . . .
And six weeks ago I was raking and doing spring clean up . . .
OH MY . . .
Colleen said…
Hope this find Mackenzie feeling all better.
Your porch looks so inviting.
Our garden spot and flower beds are still under snow..... but warmer days are ahead.
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i'm a sucker for checked tablecloths. i love your green and white. more snow tomorrow!
littlemancat said…
Love the porch - how peaceful it would be to sit out there among the trees.
Your rhubarb looks great! Pies in the future?
Mary
Hasn't this Spring been brutal for farm chores? BLEH! You've got me thinking of one of my favorite pies now.. strawberry rhubarb. And jam too!

Country Gal said…
This spring for us here in Ontario Canada has been wacky to . But they say that as of this weekend we will be into spring temps with lots of sunshine from now on YIPPY ! I hope . I do love your screen porch very cozy looking . WOW ! lots of wool will be sheared off those sheep for sure , I bet they cant wait to get that taken off and feel lighter lol ! Lovely post and photos , Thanks for sharing , Hope spring properly shows up there soon to . Have a great day !
Debbie Nolan said…
I think many of us in the U.S. are flirting with spring. I know we are in Ohio. Loved seeing your sheep. Remember sheep shearing in the spring when I was a child. Thanks for bringing back a sweet memory. Have a super day.
I am so anxious to get out in the veggie garden and get some planting done! Alas we are due another snow storm tomorrow so you shall find me in the corner softly crying....

I'm new to your blog, hopped over from Karen Ann's! Love what I'm seeing, I'm going for a little nosy around!
Bee Haven Bev said…
It's funny....I didn't mind the cold during winter...but now that it is Spring, I am totally wussy about the cold!!
Bee Haven Bev said…
Strawberry rhubarb jam, me thinks!!
Bee Haven Bev said…
Ugh...no more snow!!!
Bee Haven Bev said…
Thanks, Colleen... Mackenzie is recovered and back to normal life. YAY!!! As for my porch, you may come sit and we will have tea, knit, and chat!!
Bee Haven Bev said…
Welcome, Debbie...I will check out your part of the world as well!!
This N That said…
The porch looks beautiful..great job..Love your choices..Spring is definitely dragging her feet.I'm beginning to think that she may not show up at all this year..We can be thankful for the sun!! The sheep may need sweaters ;)