A Day Well Spent

Years ago I wrote a blog extolling the virtues of dirty fingernails.
Dirty fingernails being the evidence of a day well spent...
with hands in the good earth helping to propagate new life.
Gardening!


The blog entry published and by the end of the day I had had more hits
than ever before.
Hmmmmm....
 I wondered about this phenomenon and did a little research.
At that time I used a widget that helped me analyze from where blog traffic had come.
This particular day there were many hits from search engines
exploring the internet for "dirty fingernails".
A little more research revealed to me that "dirty fingernails" is a "thing"...
a fetish.

Now, I am not one to judge others' quirks...
after all, I kiss pigs.
(yep...right on their dirty little nosies!)


But... since then, I have found other ways to describe the delight that I feel
on those early spring days when I am able to once again work in my garden.


I'm sure you will agree with me...
there is just something energizing about Spring...
about being outdoors touching Mother Earth...
be it with bare fingers or bare toes.
It's therapeutic.
It will cure what ails ya.

Months ago we watched as winter drained the color from the earth.
Gone were the reds, golds, greens and oranges that Autumn gifted to us.
With a touch of Winter's icy cold finger, they were transformed into shades of brown and grey...
and they stayed that way for months...
and we patiently waited.


But now...
nowwwwwwwww.....
Spring has delivered us from our monochromatic prison
and filled our senses with color and fragrance and warmth.
The colors of spring, though delightful to one's eyes...possess an energy...
a vibration that can be felt deep within one's soul.


It's the satisfaction of that first glass of water to one who has just crawled from out of the dust
of a sandy desert.
It fills us up and renews our spirit.
It gives us hope.


Yesterday was a day well spent.
The garden is coming along nicely...
broccoli, kale, chard, leeks, beets, radishes, sugar peas, lettuce, spinach
are all planted.
Seeds are germinating and the air is alive with the buzzing of bees
and a chorus of birds.
And my soul sings in harmony.


On another note...
I am wondering why...
since the gate is now open between the donkey and horse yards...
the horses all crowd into the smaller donkey yard...


and the donkeys wander about in the spacious horse yard.


I suppose I already know the answer.
Because they can.

Have a wonderful weekend, friends.
We hope to spend ours doing a little more gardening
as well as visit a favorite Arts Festival.
It's Spring... and for that we are grateful.

Comments

Louise Stopford said…
We seem to have waited a long time for Spring .. perhaps it has finally arrived!! Nice to know what you are growing in your garden and it's great to get dirty fingernails gardening. Have a lovely weekend.
GeorgiaHoneyBee said…
I try to always wear gloves... 😊
daisy g said…
So glad spring decided to finally pay a call!
Enjoy your weekend!
Patsy from Illinois said…
When I see someone with those long perfectly manicured nails, I feel bad for them because they missing something wonderful. Putting their hands in the dirt and feeling the satisfaction of growing something beautiful. My nails are short and unmanicured. I do put some light polish on them if I am going to an event or an appointment but it soon peels off in few days when my hands are under dirt, pulling weeds, or picking something.
Love the pic of Sammie. He is sure enjoying the sunshine.
I never expected to learn about a new kink or fetish by reading your blog but once again you amaze me!
This N That said…
I love the way you use "sleeping Sammie" as an example of resting, sleeping waiting, etc...Perfect!! Glad you could get out and get your fingers dirty..Things are looking good..Enjoy your weekend..
Carine said…
Have you ever consider planting CELERY? I love it, in Belgium we have two types: a large
yellow one quite crunchy used in salads (delicious) and a smaller green ore leafy one used in soups (with leeks, carrots and onions). I think that it is the same plant but is grows bigger in the summer (the crunchy one) and slower in autumn (the green leafy one)
Bee Haven Bev said…
I quite often do plant celery. I don't cover it from the sun to bleach it, however....I like it green and leafy to use in soups. I just may have to get some into the ground now!
Your property is lovely! Nothing blooming here yet and not a leaf on a tree....just rain, rain, and more rain. Sigh.
diane in northern wis said…
I'm enjoying the beautiful sprouts of spring at your place, Bev. It will be awhile before we see any beautiful budding of trees and bushes, such as you show. We still have huge snow mountains to melt and 40 inches of ice on a lake close by....while we wait to thaw out...I will enjoy your springy pictures and stories. Have a great weekend!
Cindy said…
I am feeling the same way about working in the soil - it just feels good! Since you are an organic gardener, I wanted to ask what is your best way to keep the dreaded cabbage worms away. We stopped planting brassicas because of them -we just got grossed out by finding them in our broccoli at the dinner table!
Bee Haven Bev said…
Last year I had great luck with planting lots of rosemary amongst my brassicas. Also, I dust my plants with diatomaceous earth. I use an old flour sifter to apply it to the plants when they are moist. The crystals of DE (there are no chemicals in this) causes tears in the worms outside....causing them to desiccate.
Bee Haven Bev said…
Also.....soak your broccoli in salt water to remove worms.
Cindy said…
Thanks Beverly! I never thought to use DE.