There's not much in my world that scares me.
Even saying the word sends a shiver down my spine.
But then, when you live in a log home..... well, you get the picture.
Yesterday, while I was out running errands...
Hubbs got a call from our neighbors.
They had seen smoke at our barn.
Hubbs grabbed two fire extinguishers, hopped in the gator, and flew to the barn
to find that indeed we had had a small fire.
Luckily, it was a rainy day and it was extinguished by the time he reached it.
During the winter months we keep our water buckets plugged in with extension cords.
The horses' and donkeys buckets are plugged in to a cord that leads into the barn.
Apparently, yesterday, one of those buckets shorted out where it plugged into the extension cord.
It happened to hang over the fence at that same point...
and the fence post was scorched by the fire.
The extension cords and water tank plugs were melted and destroyed as well.
The good news is... when Hubbs reached the barn,
the horses were all as far away from the fire as possible...
at the other end of the dry lot.
It was a close call... a scary one.
But, luckily there was no damage to anything but the water tubs.
It is surprising that the circuit did not trip.
(We'll have our electrician check on that
when he comes to repair our underground wiring this spring.)
Our weather has finally warmed up above the freezing mark,
so we have unplugged most all of our heated water buckets and heat lamps.
Before next winter we will replace any that are showing signs of wear.
We certainly never want a repeat of yesterday!
I am wondering if our donkey girls sounded the alarm when the fire happened.
Since we were not there to witness it, we'll never know...
We have reached the end of March once again...
and my birthday has arrived (Saturday).
Last year, Hubbs wrote my birthday blog post...
and he has decided to do that again this year.
So... tomorrow's blog will be courtesy of Jack.
I have not been given any editorial rights... so, it will be all his doing.