Making Memories

Tyler spent the last two days at the farm with us.
This may have been his best time yet... at the farm.

Steering the gator.
He will be going into second grade next week...
and this week he seemed like a much more grown up boy.


He conquered his fear of the chickens and roosters.
(For about the past year he has waited tentatively inside the safety of the gator
whenever we went to the chicken houses.)


This week, however, opened the chicken houses in the morning,
collected the eggs in the afternoon,
and closed the houses back up in the evening.
He even ventured into their yard by himself to drop of a snack of cantaloupe.


He walked Red from the upper pasture back to the barn by himself...


Moonbeam continues to walk himself home each morning...
taking a more and more circuitous route as time passes.


Tyler learned to feed the ducks, fill the watering troughs,
and remove the horses' fly masks...


He happily helped out with all of the barn chores chores and pasture cleaning.

I love teaching him these kinds of responsibilities.
Overcoming fears does so much to boost one's self esteem!

My hope for my grandchildren is that I can help teach them that they are 
capable of anything!
The farm is a great way to broaden their experiences in ways that most kids 
don't get to enjoy.
Hopefully the memories we make will last a lifetime.

Who knows, maybe some day one of them will take over the farm for us...
keeping the essence of Bee Haven Acres alive!

Comments

GeorgiaHoneyBee said…
:-) Start teaching them how to blog NOW! :-) You are so right - when children are able to be outside and help with a larger effort, their confidence just explodes. When my kids help with the garden - or even with just helping us keep the acreage maintained, I think they feel a sense of ownership of the place. Hope your grandson has a great school year!
Lynne said…
Great helper there . . .
Going off on his own to do the chores sounds responsible . . .
Off to a good start!
Happy second grade Tyler!
janie said…
The seed is planted and growing into a strong , beautiful plant. lol

Have a fun year in second grad Tyler!!

Enjoy, Janie
daisy g said…
He is becoming who he is meant to be with every experience he shares with you. What a gift for you both.
GeorgiaHoneyBee said…
I have a question! What do you use to keep your fence lines clean? I do not want to use a ground drench, but I was wondering if there is anything else I could do that would be non-toxic. Thanks!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
something tells me you won't have trouble finding someone in your family to take over your farm!
I have loved watching him grow. Last year I worked in second grade and that age is the cutest.
Karla said…
It makes me so happy to see children having life experiences like these! My kids are now in their 30's and still talk about the things they learned from their grandparents.
diane in northern wis said…
What a great thing you're doing for your grandkids, Bev. They are learning so much and overcoming fears at your place. What a great experience for them and you get to watch all the progress and fun. Good for you. I am more impressed by you and your family and blog every time I come here. Thanks so much for sharing your delightful place with all of us!