Compost Tomatoes

For those of you suffering in the heat...
you have my sympathy.
Happily, we have avoided extreme heat as of yet.
But, summer is not over.


The heat is hard on the animals as they have no way to escape it.
We try our best to keep them comfortable, but there is only so much we can do.
So, I am keeping my fingers crossed that this wonderful summer weather
that we have experienced thus far will continue.
The garden has flourished with the perfect sunshine/rain balance...

Green Echinacea, my favorite!
More heat is needed, however, to ripen all of our tomatoes.
We have lots on the vine, but none are even thinking about turning red.


Curiously, two of our compost piles have their own gardens growing.
These two piles have been ready for spreading on the hay field, 
but I am waiting to see what grows from these piles.

On one there are about 50 tomato plants...


and at the base of the other are several pumpkin vines.


These piles are many months old and produce no more heat.
They have essentially turned into soil.
My question is this...
Would you eat tomatoes that were grown on the top of an old compost pile?

If you have a few extra minutes and would like to see the garden...
here is an updated tour:

Comments

daisy g said…
What a gorgeous garden! It must be amazing to walk out there each day and see God's abundance in your life.
I know you grow organically, but how do you deal with pests?
Thank you for sharing your garden with us. Love the sweet bird your blogger friend made for you.
farm buddy said…
I would most definitely eat tomatoes from a compost pile. Why not? Just think, people do not hesitate to eat GMO foods, foods drenched in pesticides and herbicides (However, I wouldn't eat them), and there is nothing but goodness in your compost pile. Let's just hope they start turning red soon!!
Cassie said…
I would absolutely eat them. My entire garden last year was built from 2 year old manure from my neighbors dairy cows and it was magnificent and the tomatoes were huge and so flavorful. Hope this helps!
This N That said…
SO the compost pile is an extension of your garden? I would eat them !! I love the green Cone flowers as well..Mine didn't come back from the Ground Hog pruning..Stay cool..gonna be a hot week..
An American in Tokyo said…
WOW! Your garden is awesome! Thank you for the tour!

Do you think your plants are doing better this year because of the "buddy system"? (I forgot what you called it, when you have plants that grow well together next to each other...)

And I never knew that about celery!
I use the leaves and everything in soups, too!
Karla said…
Thank you for the fun garden tour! We just moved to a mobile home park and I only have a tiny space for gardening, but I'm picking some tomatoes, green beans and even some zinnias so that makes me happy. I'll always need to be growing something!
Very interesting, good job and thanks for sharing such a good blog. Your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job. Keep it up
Seafood Distributor in Pennsylvania
All Beef cuts in Pennsylvania