Jammin' With The Pigs

This is my reward for a day spent...
picking, pitting, jamming and canning!


Yes, it's Cherry/Berry season on the farm.


The strawberries are ripe.
The blueberries are just ripening.


The black raspberries have been picked (first round...several to go.)


The cherries have been picked and made into sour cherry jam.


Today we will pick the gooseberries and get them into the freezer.

At the end of the day when the kettles have been washed and the kitchen is back in order 
once again, I head out to visit with my girls, Ginger and MaryAnn.
It's cool in the pig yard; the afternoon sun long ago disappeared behind the woods.
After a long day of grazing, 


the pigs are ready to lay down with me and rest.


Bobby approaches from one side of the pig yard, as our
barn kitty, Moll eyes him warily.
Normally she would be visiting with the pigs and me.
But, with Bobby in the vicinity, she stays away.
Bobby has a way of intimidating the other cats...
but certainly not the pigs.


The pigs are comfortable with both cats and vice versa.


This scene is the most peaceful one on the farm and one that I cherish.
These two girls are extremely sociable and very bonded to me.


They are gentle and loving and completely tolerant.
I clean their eyes and nose and ears as they lie beside me.


I lift up their lips and check out their teeth with no reaction from them.
We have a relationship built on mutual trust.


I plop Bobby on top of MaryAnn and neither one of them objects.
Trust.
It's a beautiful thing.

Comments

Louise Stopford said…
Just love those girls - such sweethearts.
Lynne said…
Trust and Peace together . . .
No doubt about it . . . wonderful!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
nothing like a good cat massage!
littlemancat said…
Oh how I love this! The expressions on the pig girl's face is pure contentment,and as you say, trust.
Mary
Has any pig every had a better life? You done good, Bev - all around.

molliemax said…
That's one happy pig! Have a beautiful day.
Rita B Caldwell said…
Our black raspberries are ripe but that's about all. A couple of the blueberry farms around us plan to open the last weekend of the month. We are going to have an awesome grape and apple crop and the blackberries are huge and not near ripe yet. We probably won't have them until late July. Hopefully the weather will be kind to them this year. The past two years they've dried up on the vines. They're wild and the farm is covered with them.
Good luck with your canning/preserving season!
Rita
I don't know which one of the pigs has those great lower teeth, but I love them! So glamorous!
An American in Tokyo said…
Wow, what a wonderful time on the farm!
Berries and cherries! Yum!

By the way, how old are Ginger and MaryAnn?!
Bee Haven Bev said…
Ginger and MaryAnn are six years old now....I can't believe how fast the time has gone!!