To Market, To Market, To Buy a Fat....

Duck!
Or four.


Yes, yesterday we braved the rain and headed to the livestock auction...


to find a few new ducks for our pond.


Rather than raise a bunch of babies, we thought we should "rescue"
some that were being auctioned of for goodness knows what purpose.

Meet Stella (the Crested Swedish beauty) her Khaki Campbell back-up singers,
Bella, Della, and Ella
(if one of them ends up being a drake... his name will change to Fella!)


It took but a moment for these four to head straight into the pond...


swimming over to greet our old Cayuga/Swedish runner boys.


I won't describe the activity that ensued, as it is not "G" rated.
Suffice it to say, the ole boys have been quite lonely for female companionship.


A trip to Tractor Supply yielded the three chicks that I needed to make an even dozen.
And then, because I just couldn't control myself, I added another three...
to make an odd fifteen!


I have to admit... I have a soft spot for chicks.
Beware, dear friends... I have found that chicks are just a gateway drug.
You tell yourself that you will stop with them....
and before you know you are spiraling out of control.....
ending up with a complete farm menagerie.
(Take it from me... and be ye warned!)


And...oh my, these six new gals need names!!
(And to answer yesterday's questions....no....I cannot tell them apart at this point!...and yes, they were sexed and are all females...to the best of our knowledge.... time will tell.)

The rest of the day was spent gardening (in the rain.)
I planted this area with a summer bulb garden...


canna lilies, gladiolus, dahlias and a mammoth Elephant Ears.
Notice the tiny wire fence around the perimeter.
I am hoping that it discourages turkeys and guineas, cats, 
and dogs (who like to lay in fresh mulch)
from walking through this area.


I can't wait for this garden to bloom...
it should be spectacular!

As for the vegetable garden... I also added garlic, red potatoes, and more bean seeds.
I am hoping that this will be our best garden year yet.
I'll keep you updated!

Comments

Michelle said…
I love visiting your blog, it is very inspiring!
I dream of getting more chooks, I only have 2 at the moment but I have been collecting names(yes I'm a little weird)but I thought I would share some of them with you...hope it helps;o) Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Molly, Polly, Dolly, Clementine, Hazel, Marigold, Penelope, Ruby, Pearl, Violet...
Colleen said…
We buy chicks with the same reasoning as you do. My husband raises "hobby" birds..our one set of Mandarin ducks has turned into three sets. We fostered rabbits for our local shelter and over time we ended up with Oliver, Sheldon, Hershey, Miss Bun ( named her that so we wouldn't get too attached, lol) and Diva. We added two khaki cambell's a few weeks ago.
I would love to go to your market auction but something tells me it's a good thing I don't live handy!
Can't wait to see the summer bulb garden in bloom 🌺
The JR said…
I want some more chicks, but think I will wait until I retire.

Good luck with the new ducks.
Lynne said…
I can build my idea of gardens and farmette by reading you . . .
Thank you . . .
Loved seeing the chicklets and rescued ducks . . .
And the flower patch, I am sure will be beautiful!
You certainly know how to make ducks happy.
Louise Stopford said…
Ducks and chicks are gorgeous. You are so lucky to have the space and the time to look after all these lovely creatures (and we are lucky that you chose to share with us). Will be following intently to see how the ducks and chicks come along and also how your beautiful garden will look come summer time.
Junebug said…
Love, love seeing more chicks! I have stayed away from the farm store in fear I would come home with some! The ducks would love my house right now, with all the rain my back yard is a pond, no joke!Of course the weatherman keeps saying more rain. I want him to stay it's stopping!! No yard, garden work for this gal. So I will just have to enjoy your, so keep the pictures coming!!
This N That said…
Happy Ducks..Happy pond...Your new planting area will be beautiful..You may end up enlarging it!! I was playing in the dirt this AM..planting bulbs that someone gave me..moving a bush, pulling out a couple of dead ones and weeding...Can't believe how dry the ground is after days of rain..Happy Wednesday..
Dianne said…
New chicks:
One, Bun, Hun, Run, Fun..........and DONE!
LOL.. oh, don't I know your woe!! I have been walking away from the ducklings at Tractor supply... ONLY... because we don't have a pond on the property and I just don't think a wading pool is adequate for them. I have six new chicks now half raised out in the garage, they will soon move to the big coop, but kept separate for a few more months from my big girls. It's all I can do not to go scoop up a few more at the feed store. And the damn duck temptation!!...

jaz@octoberfarm said…
omg..you are a duck pimp! hahaha! i can't wait to see that bulb garden. what a great idea.
An American in Tokyo said…
Springtime at your farm sounds so wonderful!!
New ducks and chicks, yipee!!
And all the new seedlings and plants and flowers, oh my!!
I can't wait to see how everything flourishes!!
(Too many exclamation marks today!!)
diane in northern wis said…
woah.....how exciting....not only did you buy the ducks....which I thought were instead of more chicks but then you bought six more chicks too! I sure wish I lived next door to you!!! How fun....I hope they will all do really well on your lovely farm. Thanks for the always fun blog and such great pictures...and can't wait to see your flowers and veggies as they come up. If you have any good recipes for cooking the vegies....let us know!