Morning Routines

Each morning after feeding the equines, we feed the barn kitties.


They have dry food available 24/7, but once daily
get a helping of canned food.

Lately Lucille, our one lone hen who has taken up residency in the barn,
chases the cats away from their food and claims it as her own.


Normally the dogs get to lick the cans and lids clean.


However yesterday I thought perhaps I could occupy Lucille with one of the empty cans
so that the cats could eat in peace.


It definitely helped.
Bobby, who was scowling of the idea of having to share, was able to finish his breakfast in peace.


Afterwards, he hit the hay...


napping away the rest of the morning in his favorite bed.


Tom has been roosting in the barn lately.
He spends his mornings following me around.
Curiously, since Chuck is no longer here, Tom seems to enjoy being touched.
In the past he would shrink away from any human contact.


Now he stands still for a  morning rub-down, 
even allowing me to touch his rubbery head and waddle.


Afterwards he makes his way out to visit with Fred and Ethel.
The Roos, spying me, come running over to the fence.


I really enjoy these handsome fellows... as long as they are on the other side of a fence!


See?

Several toads have made their home in the barn this summer.

I find several of these guys hopping about each evening as I do the tuck-in chores.
(They are a real curiosity to the cats and dogs.)
I suppose the barn offers cool, dark places to spend their days.


This weekend is Mackenzie's first birthday party.


I will have photos to show you on Monday.
(I made her birthday outfit... I'll show you Monday!)

Comments

Dawn said…
I often hear people say that there chickens like cat food must be the meat protein they like :-)
daisy g said…
Foghorn is my favorite cartoon character!
Enjoy the Pink Fairy's birthday. It seems like the first year went by so fast! Can't wait to see her outfit. ;0D
Lynne said…
Amazing how fast Mackenzie's first year FLEW . . .
Happy Birthday weekend!
Will all the animas join in on the party too . .
Deb said…
Bobby's expression is hilarious.
Tom is coming into his own!
jerilanders said…
I can understand why Bobby is not pleased.... BUZZ OFF,Y'ALL!
Around here, everyone is competing for the canned cat's food.It must have the most delicious taste....
I spent my summers on my Aunt Dolly and Uncles Jim's farm. One time they had a roo who would spur my aunt when she collected the eggs. One of my jobs when I was there was to collect the eggs. Well that roo came after me one day and I was probably 6 or 7 years old. My aunt had enough and sad to say that fella ended up in the soup pot.

Tom seems lonely without Chuck and he is enjoying your touch and company.
This N That said…
I never would have thought that chickens would like cat food..Silly me..They eat everything!
We see toads on our late night walk..Hard to miss stepping on them.
Glad all is calm in the Rooster/Turkey house.
See you Sunday..
Cindy said…
I often wonder about your busy days as I go about my chores - not nearly as many as yours! You seem to get so much done! And that inspires me to do more.
Your granddaughter is adorable! How quickly they grow!
Laura Sudderth said…
I cannot believe it has already been a year since MacKenzie was born. My gosh, how time flies. I feel old when I say that! Have a wonderful weekend.
Country Gal said…
Lovely photos ! Oh my that little cutie is a year already? WOW ! Happy Birthday to Mackenzie . Cat food makes our dog Miggs sick so we have to keep her away from it . We also get a lot of toads about here . I like toads . Thanks for sharing , have a good weekend !