Snow vs. Mud

And the snow just keeps on melting.
There are small rivers running through the farm right now.


I stepped through the gate into the pig yard yesterday and sunk in mud up to my ankles.


Mud!
Where the snow is not....the mud is!


The pig yard and sheep yard are both located on the north slope of the farm,
and so they get no sunlight.


Because of this, they are the last areas to melt.


Feeling badly for the pigs, I decided to shovel another path through the snow
so that the pigs had a little more room to stretch their legs.


In essence, I just opened up a path towards more "snow cones" for the pigs.
You see, these two little porcine princesses love to eat snow.


With new paths open, there is also new snow available for snacking.


These two have spent the bulk of the past few weeks indoors.


They come out for potty breaks and to eat snow.
Other than that, there is not much outdoors that interests them at the present time.


The sheep pen is still covered with snow as well.
The sheep could care less, however.


As long as it is clear around their hay feeder,
they are happy.


(Wearable food...the ultimate take-out!)
Most of the day they hang out there eating, and napping...


Another area of the farm that gets little sunlight is the duck pond.


Although the weather has been warmer,
with no sun reaching the pond...
it stays mostly frozen...
open only where the aerators keep the water moving.


Our duck population has been steadily growing this winter.


At last count we had 12 visiting mallards who stayed for several day.
I am hoping that a couple of these pairs will chose to raise their young on the pond this spring!
Our five resident ducks seem to enjoy the visitors.

And so we have ended another week on the farm.
Our weekend will be a quiet one...just us and our animal friends.
We'll be back on Monday to share their shenanigans.
Y'all have a wonderful weekend!

Comments

Candice said…
Best photo caption = "Wearable food...the ultimate take out!" Made me laugh. Have a good weekend and I hope the mud disappears quickly. I hear Spring may be just around the corner...hope it's not a long trip.
Anonymous said…
Hi! I love to read your blog, I never miss it. I am originally from DuBois, PA but the Navy has taken my family all over the East coast. I love animals and would love to have some sheep and a few chickens but the city I live in frowns upon that, lol. So what's a gal to do? Read Bee Havens blog everyday! I just wanted you to know that you are appreciated and I won't miss a post! Even hubs will ask what is Bee Haven up today? Thanks! TerriC
Eating and napping -- that's how I'd like to spend some days too.
Henny Penny said…
It still looks cold there...but so pretty! I need to read more of your older post to find out about your sheep. They are so cute and look miniature?? The pigs too. I love your farm. Oh, I enjoyed your last post about the kitty. The same food thing happens here. If I put out cat food and it disappears immediately, I know Weetie has slipped in. Kitties eat slow!
Sounds an excellent day!Great article!!
You got some amazing clicks.!!Thanks for sharing
This N That said…
Love the "wearable food"...Seems as though the Ducks have found a happy place!!Lucky them..The sheep seem to have the secret to easy living...Piggies seem to love the fresh snow to nibble on..I'm surprised they don't go out and find it on there own...
Rita B Caldwell said…
Have a warm and quiet weekend! I think we're all ready for some warm sunshine and spring hopefully is just around the corner.
Rita
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i bet the animals are ready for spring! i'm not. i am going to the korentovanja festival tomorrow and it will be the first time without snow. it just won't be the same.
Country Gal said…
Wearable food who knew lol ! Lovely photos . Quiet here to but we have no snow left and thank fully no mud either not even the dusting we got over night stayed long as the sun and land is warmer now , we haven't had a perma frost as of yet this winter I just hope that it doesn't cause bug infestations for the spring and summer . My Daffs are poking above ground now to . Thanks for sharing , Have a god weekend !
Lynne said…
I always enjoy the stories and the animal shenanigans . . .
Enjoy your quiet weekend . . .