Sheepish Visits and Garden Adventures

"Come on, Sam...let's go out and see the sheep."


And with that, Sam hopped into the front seat of the gator...
eyes on the prize.

For the past week, since the sheep arrived,
Sam stands at their wooden stall door...
licking, licking, licking the door.
He's licked the door so much that there are clean spots on the wood...
licked clean by a big pink tongue!


"I'm still a little tired...
but I can't wait to meet the lambs!" he said.


"Wow...there they are!"  he exclaimed as he hopped off the gator.
And for the next 2 hours, he patrolled the border of the fence...
staying as close to the sheep as he could.


Unafraid, Gracie and the twins came over to the fence to sniff Sam.
They soon grew bored with him and went back to doing what comes natural.


Meanwhile, Sam remained fascinated.


Oakley and Annie watched from the hill next to the sheep.


And while all of this was happening, I worked next door in the garden.


We have finally begun to have consistently warm weather...without nighttime frosts.


So, I took a big leap of faith and started planting flowers.
I can hardly wait for everything to grow and spread... filling in all the bare spots.


I planted an old wagon with Wave Petunias...


the bucket ladder with assorted blooms,
and hung this wonderful vertical garden filled with succulents on the garden shed.


After 12 hours of gardening and weeding, I had much to show for my time.


I love this time of year...
when I spend my entire day outdoors.


My fingernails have a fine layer of brown beneath them.
I scrub and I scrub and it doesn't all come out.
And then back out I go getting them full of dirt again.


I can hardly wait to be able to eat straight from the garden once again.
Eating fresh veggies that we've grown ourselves makes every hour
spent working in the garden well worth it!


Comments

Nancy's Notes said…
Aww, your Sam is such a good looking dog, oh he's loving those little sheep! Beverly, I love your garden and all of the creative ways you've planted your flowers! Oh my, must be awesome to have a garden, nothing like fresh veggies! Great post!
Have a great day~
Nancy
This N That said…
Looks like a busy, fun filled day you got a lot done.
GeorgiaHoneyBee said…
Good Morning! You should consider writing a children's book series called Tails From the Farm! I read this mornings post to my two year old, in my best storytime voice, and she was enthralled! We are loving the lambs!
colleen said…
You are such a breath of fresh air this morning. You seem to be about four weeks ahead of us weather wise....so I'm going to enjoy your plantings, green grass , and even the dandelions. I have an old wagon that I want to use as a planter this year and I was wondering if you have holes in the bottom for drainage? The lambs and Gracie look so content with their surroundings.
Bee Haven Bev said…
I did drill holes in the bottom for drainage, then I placed an old piece of screen over the holes to keep the dirt from leaking out...although this probably isn't that necessary.
Anke said…
I couldn't agree with you more!! This coming weekend is supposed to be really nice and I can't wait to just spend some time in the garden!
jerilanders said…
You have lambykins! I wish mine were of the shorter breed. Yours will be easy to shear. They are sweet as pie!
Carla said…
We have gotten winter and spring rains that have given me hope for a garden again. We've been in a terrible drought for the last 7 years. Fingers crossed that what I planted will grow like your garden grows.
I love the way the lambs lay Ying/Yang. :)
jaz@octoberfarm said…
oh god...now i have garden anxiety! i have SO much to do and here i am baking rolls for the kids! i did get all the plants out of the garage since it looks like we will be warm at least for a while! your place looks wonderful already and the lambs look so settled in!
Anonymous said…
The sheep are adorable! Looks like they've been accepted on the farm. I really need to get out and work in my garden. It's going to be quite the chore this year, since I didn't have one last summer.
Anonymous said…
Love your blog and loving the new additions :) If you scrape your nails over a bar of soap (I use Ivory) before you work in the garden then the dirt will wash right out. Thanks for sharing your days with us.
Lynne said…
Those lambs are so adorable . . . Happy that Sam and the others are keeping a good eye!
colleen said…
Thanks for your advice. This is what I shall do with mine.