Gracie And The Lambs Go On The Lam

One of our daily tasks right now is the process of socializing the lambs.
Gracie....she's been a piece of cake...
all it takes is a packet of Ritz crackers and she'd follow you anywhere.
ANYWHERE!


That is, until yesterday morning....
when for some reason both she and her lambs decided to bolt out of their enclosure
as I was taking them out to graze.


"FREEDOM!!"  they cried, and ran around the garden area with wild abandon...
me, quickly sliding into panic mode.
I needed to call for help, but couldn't leave them alone while I ran in the barn to the phone.
So, I scrapped the idea of calling in reinforcements and opted for patience.



Within moments, all three of them ran headlong into the fenced-in yard we were originally bound for.
And I ran to close up the fence as fast as I could.


SUCCESS!

The sheep spent four hours out grazing yesterday morning.
Once back in their stall, we spent some time picking the lambs up and holding them...
getting them used to us fussing with them.


We held them and snuggled with them.


When I finished shooting that video, I trimmed each of their hooves while Amanda held them.

Life, right now, is mostly about acclimating them to us and to normal routine.
The more we handle them and get them used to grooming,
the easier it will be for everyone in the long run.


This is a process that takes a bit of time,
and we must be patient.


I'd love to put them out in the yard where they will live,
but hesitate to do so until they are completely socialized.


They're getting there...a little bit more each day!

I have to say....I love all three of these girls.
They are the sweetest creatures...
gentle and good natured.
They are a terrific addition to the farm!

Comments

Unknown said…
Those little stinkers...just like little children! Love hearing all about their 'tails'. They are just so adorable I want to give them each a big hug and kiss!
Lynne said…
Adorable times three!
jaz@octoberfarm said…
could there be anything better than snuggling with these two lambs? maybe snuggling with a grandchild? i have a better chance of getting a lamb!
Carla said…
Oh my! How scary! My mini donks went on a walk-about one day when they squeezed through an open gate when I was pulling the truck in. They'd usually run from the whole thing. This time the cheeky boys decided to go for a run. I finally caught them, but not without some terror on my part.
Your lambs, OH MY!! SO very cute, but you know that already.
Anonymous said…
Oh my, talk about love! With those adorable faces who wouldn't want to snuggle with them!
Hugs, June
Unknown said…
What a bunch of loves! This is just the sweetest. And what great mood therapy for us humans!
This N That said…
Glad things are going well with the new additions..They sorta have Koala bear faces..So sweet..I know you're having a fun time with them even when they are on the lamb !
NanaDiana said…
I just go AWWWWW every time I come here. They are so cute it makes my heart hurt! xo Diana
Diane C said…
Just loving your new sheep! Those videos are great! Thanks so much!
Katmom said…
Love and patience... I so envy you,, and how your 2 & 4 legged charges love you,,, and their Ritz! lol! hugz
An American in Tokyo said…
Aww~!!