A Rainy Day And A Step In The Right Direction

We had quite a rainy day yesterday.


My day off from farm chores was largely spent indoors.


A quick morning trip to our local bison farm to pick up an order of meat,
with a stop at the post office, was my excitement for the day.


We are very lucky to have farmers within a 10 mile radius to raise our meat.

The rest of the day was spent making a huge pot of vegetable soup,
(I made my own stock from bison soup bones)


some household chores and a little knitting...
I found a way to kill two birds with one stone...knitting while biking on our stationary bike.
Since the rain kept me from getting my daily (work)exercise outside,
I decided to exercise indoors.


I have to tell you, I am the worst about exercising.
I always rationalize that I get enough just by doing farm chores.
But, in fact, I know that it is not enough.
So.... I am going out on a limb here and saying that I am going to try to ride the bike indoors
at least four times a week.
(You are my witness....please keep me honest!)

We had a short break in the rain so I took the dogs for a walk out to visit the pigs.


I am amazed at how quickly the rain has knocked so many of the leaves off of the trees.
It's beginning to look like late autumn!


With the exception of what's on the ground,


the apple orchard is beginning to look a bit bare.
(Interestingly, when we arrived home from Tyler's soccer game last evening,
there were three big deer snacking in the apple orchard.)
The pigs will be very sad to see their daily snack time come to an end!



And at the end of the day....


Inside every cloud... there really is a silver lining!

Comments

daisy g said…
Oh, those girls know what the good stuff is! Enjoy your rain. Seems like the entire east coast has been affected. We even got some down here yesterday. Lovely rainbow.
Lynne said…
Exercise away on that bike, the rain seems to be hanging on.
I agree, it is bringing the leaves down very fast . . . although our Oaks are still filled to the brim!
Plenty of exercise ahead for me . . .
jaz@octoberfarm said…
those girls sure eat like pigs! we didn't get nearly as much rain as you.
Unknown said…
We got the same heavy rains here this week and we are so thankful...we really need it. I was still able to work inside the trailer, cleaning it out for winter and doing a bit of redecorating. I love to exercise and believed for years that working as a painter that I got plenty of exercise. But we know different, don't we? I walk several times a week, do yoga and work with weights twice a week. I am going to try and add more yoga and another weight training day. I feel pretty good about where I am with all of that but when it's rainy and dark, it's hard to get motivated to get outside.

Yes, the leaves are going fast...with the rain and we have had a fair share of wind. It sure goes fast.
This N That said…
I guess I forgot to publish my comment this AM...I miss my rainbow sightings..too many trees here..
You get way more exercise than the average person your age, but I am not a gym person either.
.We had a much needed 2 inches of rain..Looks like your gutters could be clogged???
The piggies need to learn that for everything turn, turn turn.. there is a season turn, turn turn...:)
I think I see a peek of sunshine..Hope you re having a good day..
Esther L. said…
My parents use their daily farm chores at their horse farm as exercise and I have to say that the difference in their appearances since they've retired from their "paying" careers to farm exclusively have been pretty stunning. They're both more fit now than ever before! Don't underestimate all the exercise linked to farming! :)
Katmom said…
Oh Bev, please take a "spin around the block" on your stationary bike for me,,, because, unlike you... I can come up with a gazillion reasons for not excercising... #1 I am to busy baking & eating cookies! LOL!