Our Favorite Dinner Spot

It's that time of year again.
I am completely in love.
The farm in early summer is nothing short of heaven on earth.
And the center of it all, I've got to say, is the garden!


Each day I spend countless hours weeding, watering, planting...
and then walking through soaking up all of the green, green energy that it gives off.


And to think that just a few short months ago, 
this entire thing was a pile of seeds stuck into tiny pots of soil in our greenhouse.


What a transformation!

Every night when I go to sleep I can hardly wait to wake up the next morning
and go out to the garden.


Of all the things I love to do (and there are many),
I do believe the garden is at the top of the list.


Each year I make modifications to the garden.
One such was the planting of vines such as wisteria and trumpet vine
on the uppermost fence.
Those vines, after three years are now very large and very productive...
adding to the magic of the place!
There are birdhouses all around the garden fence, and families of birds making babies.


This year I planted perennials on the lower end.
I know in the next few years it will look like an old English country garden.
In the far corner of the picture below is a huge Concord grape vine.
In another month or two it will be loaded with sweet purple grapes.


Last night Hubbs and I had dinner in the garden.
The uppermost corner, opposite the playhouse, has a table and chairs
with a blue and green umbrella (that matches the playhouse).


It's here that we ate some leftover tequila lime chicken,
a salad picked fresh right there in the garden,
and a glass of wine.


It beat the finest restaurant for ambiance, hands down!
Sadly, I did not take time to stage the table for a photo shoot...
no, we just grabbed the wine and the leftovers from the fridge,
brought our forks,
and enjoyed the scenery....
breathing in the fresh air and the vibrant green energy surrounding us.


Oakley, Sam and Moll joined us.
What fun we had, eating and catching up with each other's day!
Meanwhile, outside the garden were the turkeys and one lone guinea.


It seems this guy, dubbed Caicos by Hubbs,


has been ostracized by the flock.


So, he spends his day hanging out with the turkeys, as he has for months.


Just the three of them.... Turks and Caicos!
Salut!

Comments

Stephane said…
So yesterday I brought home a bourbon red tom turkey; and three guineas. Do your turkeys ever fight with your roosters?
daisy g said…
If that's not heaven on earth, I don't know what is.

I'd love to use the first photo on my Pinterest board.
jaz@octoberfarm said…
isn't gardening simply miraculous? i feel the same way you do. i can't wait to go down to the garden early in the morning. there is always something different. i get such satisfaction eating from my own plot. the salads are so fresh and flavorful. nothing like store bought. your place is enchanting! watch out for that wisteria though. i planted it everywhere and it grow like a weed and the trunk destroys everything in it's path!
Suzan said…
With all that you have going on with animals and plants, to feed and care for, I'm amazed that you have anytime to sit!! Your guinea must think he's a turkey too :-}}
Morning is the best time to visit the gardens, isn't it Bev?
You do have a piece of heaven there. It is just so beautiful.. I love the first photo.
Wishing you a wonderful week.
fondly,
Penny
I so school is out so I can play in the garden! Your garden is stunning! Can't wait to try your tequila lime chicken, your lime blueberry jam was amazing & will be made again this year!

Have a great week!
Kris said…
I share your sentiments about gardening. I rise early, take my coffee and head straight to the coop to feed the hens, and then to the garden to talk to my growing food!!!
I have a table and umbrella at the garden too!
xo Kris
Susannah said…
What a gorgeous spot for dinner!!! I hope you can do that more often.

Poor little Caicos!
Barbara said…
I LOVE your blog and delight in reading it daily. It is so much fun to "meet" the animals and have you describe all of their personalities and sooooooo far removed from my daily city life. It truly brings a moment of peace and a breathe of fresh air to my day. Every bit of your garden is a delight and your playhouse takes me right back to my childhood - although it was in a neighbor's backyard and not out on a farm with a beautiful garden outside the door.
Thank so much for sharing!
Anonymous said…
Everything looks Amazing!
Kim said…
Turks & Caicos, how funny!
Anonymous said…
Heaven....absolutely.

Annie v.
I know what you mean! We were so cold and wet here for so long that nothing really grew it just sort of...hunkered down. And now? The garden has just exploded! In about 2 weeks it seems like!
It's so nice to sit and eat and listen to the wind and the animals and relax. We should always spend time just enjoying the fruits of our labors!
Now I think I gotta get a little wrought iron table and chairs to set up in my garden area....my next project...
Anonymous said…
I'm snorting and laughing at Turks and Caicos.... :)

Stunning! I love love gardens this time of year. So much promise.

KK
Katmom said…
hey Bev, it goes w/o saying... "I am Green with Envy"... everything looks wonderful! here it has been raining and we have another 10days of it...but at least we are up to 49degrees today! lol! 'spose to get into (maybe) the low 60's tomorrow! Wahoo!
Looks like you and the critters are enjoying yourselves, as you should.. now have a little fun for me! hugz >^..^<
Lynne said…
Picnic for two, leftovers and some wine. . . PERFECT!